Chapter 8: Going Under

We arrived at Santa Carla High. Corey gets out of the car and races over to my door to open it.

"Thanks, Corey." I said with a half smile.

"No, problem Honey." Corey said leaning in to give me a kiss. I hesitantly kiss him back and break if off quickly.

Corey looked at me with confusion and said, "What's wrong, Summer?"

I looked down and played with my fingers. Corey cupped my face and lifts my face to his.

"Talk to me Summer." Corey said with worry in his eyes. I move my face out of his grasp.

"Corey, I..." I drifted off, "Corey, last night was great. But, I hope you know that I'm still not ready, for anything serious."I said painfully.

Corey squints his eyes, as if he can't believe what I was saying, and he backed away a little.

"What...? I dont' get it what are you talking about? What about last night?" he asked question after question. I feel tears welling up in my eyes. Corey's eyes get cold.

"Last night was great, Corey. But, I meant what I said before I'm scared and not ready to drag you down." I said feeling tear threatening to fall any second. I can see Corey beoming hostile.

"So, last night was what? Just to fuck me and my emotions?" he said harshly, "Do you even really love me?" he questioned.

"I meant it when I said 'I love you.' But, I said some stuff in the heat of the moment; I was hurt and needed someone. I would rather you be with someone who would'nt do this to you." I cried.

"Summer, I don't care about the baggage that you carry. I care about you!" he asserted.

"I...ne-ed to get my life straight first, Corey. Please, understand." I cried.

"Yea, I understand. I understand that you can't see when someone really loves you. Because you let your asshole father, make you think that your not worthy of anything." Corey said harshly. Tears were streaming down my face.

"Corey, Ple-"

"Summer, Don't worry I understand. I'm just not going to sit here wait around for you forever. I'll be there as your best friend. Nothing more and nothing less, just like before." he said coldly and walk into the school.

I stood there with tears streaming down my face. I ran into the school and into the girl's bathroom. I wash my face with cold water. I find myself looking in the mirror contemplating things. I lean against one of the stalls and slid down to the floor. I bring my knees to my chest, and wrap my arms around them; laying my head down.

After, I couple of minutes I hear the bell ring for the start of school. I walk to my first class which is drama, and I have drama with Corey. Literally. I sit down the third row and slouch in my seat. Wanting so bad to just hide. I see Corey walk in and before he sits down glances at me quickly, and looks away.

I get through drama class painfully. I couldn't help but stare at Corey. I get up and try to catch up with Corey. I grab his shirt to stop him and he turns around with pain in his eyes.

"Corey!" I yelled.

"What?" Corey hissed.

I was taken aback by this. Corey has never acted this way towards me.

"Corey, If you want I'll be out of your house." I said.

"Jesus, Summer. I would never kick you out. I just need space." he said looking away.

Without another word Corey leaves to go to his next class. I get through school, but, all I could think about was Corey. I don't like how things were left and I never meant to hurt him.

I exit the school and decided to just walk back to Corey's house. Five minutes into walking Corey pull up in his red convertible. I stop and so does his car. I get in without a word. We get to his house and I get of the car.

I turn to Corey and say, "Aren't you coming?"

Corey look at me briefly and says, "I'm gonna go out for a while."

I nod and he drives off. I turn to the house and let myself in. I don't want to do anything else but sleep and wake up, and this will hopefully will all be a dream. I lay down and think about today's events, and eventually drift off to sleep.

Couple of weeks later...

I haven't seen much of Corey in these past of weeks. The only times I see him are when I wake up screaming from a nightmare and in drama class. Corey is always there when I have nightmares and still embraces me, but, we don't exchange words.

I also found out that Corey got Romeo for the play and I got Juliet. So, it's going to be sort of awkward, because we hardly spoke to each other.

After drama class one day, Mrs. Ash walks to me and says, "Summer, I would like to speak with you and Corey about your parts."

I nodded in agreement and walk to the stage where Corey is sitting down on the edge. He glances at me quickly and looks away.

Mrs. Ash hands us our scripts and says "I want you guys to act a couple lines for me; just to observe you're progress."

We both do as told and practice the lines she requested us to act out.

"Great, but I need a little more emotion. You should practice together for a couple hours a week." Mrs. Ash suggests.

We both just nod our heads. Mrs. Ash gives us both a concerned look.

"You guys, need to act like you like each other for this to work." Mrs. Ash said while furrowing her brow.

"It's probably going to take a lot more practice for Summer." Corey said coldly without looking at me.

I looked at him hurt. Corey grabs his bag and leaves the auditorium.

Mrs. Ash turned towards me and sternly says "Summer, I don't know what is going on between you two. But, you guys need to get it together, or else this could be radioactive for the play."

"I know..." I said quietly, I grab my bag and leave as well.