Chapter 12: Un-cry these tears

I slowly wake up to bright fluorescent lights. I squint my eyes. I scan the room with my eyes. I'm in a hospital. My head is pounding and my lip feel swollen. I raise my fingers to touch my lip and I feel a scab. Just then a nurse and officer walk in.

"Excuse, Ms. Leaf. This is Officer Gomez, he's going to ask you a few questions. Do you feel up to it?" she asks politely.

I look at them frazzled and I respond, "Sure."

The nurse leaves me with the officer and closes the door.

"Ms. Leaf, do you know why you're here?" he asks.

I breathe deeply and try to collect my self. I look at the officer and say, "My father was threatening my mother and I try to st-op it." I mumble.

"Okay, How long has this been going on?" the officer asks curiously.

"Too long..." I say.

"Why, hasn't your father been arrested." he asks confused.

I stay quiet for a moment and respond, "She still l-oved him. She was protecting him."

The officer come closer to the hospital bed and says, "Your mother?"

I nodded my head and looked down at my arm; which had new bandage on it. My cut must've been reopened.

"Ms. Le-" I cut him off.

"Just call me Summer. Please." I say quickly.

The officer nods.

"Summer, I have some good new and bad news." he says gently.

I looked at him with my brow furrowed.

"Where is my mother." I say with panic.

The officer looks at me with apologetic eyes.

"No...No,no,no!" I screamed.

"Summer, please calm down. We tried to get there in time. Your lucky you got out of there." the officer said desperately trying to calm me down.

"Lucky?" I hissed, "How?" I ask impatiently.

"This young man over here, got to you in time." he said pointing to my left.

I turned and saw Corey slumped over the side of the hospital bed sleeping. My heart jumped at the sight of him. He saved me?

"How, did he know where I was." I ask quietly.

"He said that he tried to follow you from school; because he saw you leave class upset. He got there and called the police, and disarmed your father." the officer answered.

Corey must've saw me leave the auditorium upset.

"He did?" I ask almost not believing it.

The officer nodded. I started to cry because the news of my mother started to hit me.

"What happened to her?" I ask.

"The young man tried to stop your Mother's bleeding, but, she had already lost too much before we got there. " he said.

Hot tears were streaming down my face.

"She's gone..." I quietly cried.

The officer gently placed his hand on my shoulder and said sincerely, "I'm sorry, Summer."

I covered my face and sobbed. I can't believe she's really gone. I have no one else left. Corey must still hate me and Mom the only other person there was is dead.

"I want you to know that your father is behind bars right now. He'll certainly be charged with murder and attempted murder." he stated.

I nod my head with tear still falling. Officer Gomes exits the room. I look to where Corey is and find him awake looking at me with distraught. I look back with new fresh tears streaming down my face.

"Corey, I-" He cut me off and got up and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Sh...It's ok. Just relax." Corey assured me.

I looked up at him and felt good that he was here to comfort me.

"Corey, she's gone." I whispered.

Corey hugged me tighter and says, "I know..."

We lay back on the bed together and runs his fingers through my hair.

"Summer, I'm sorry..." Corey says.

I look at him and with pain in my eyes, "I'm sorry too."

"Don't think about it. Just rest." Corey says softly.

I cry myself to sleep.