Chapter 20

(HI, OKAY, SO I KNOW I ALWAYS POST AT THE END OF CHAPTERS, BUT I'M SO EXCITED BECAUSE I FOUND HARRY'S THEME SONG FOR THIS BOOK AGFGKDFKJHA.

IT'S ATTACHED ABOVE AND IT'S CALLED "Any Other Way" by We The Kings AND I'M SO EXCITED BECAUSE IDK, I THINK IT FITS HIM SO WELL OMG.

OKAY, I'LL HUSH NOW, CARRY ON x)

✖ Chapter 20 ✖

 ROSE'S EYES SWEPT across the scene, taking in Harry's stiff posture right next to her. There was a part of her worried he would give up again, turn himself in, but by the stern look in his green eyes, she didn't think he would. Especially not with Raven yearning protection right behind him.

Cecilia's eyes locked with Rose's for all of two second before Rose had to look away. She couldn't stand the sick amusement that lingered in those dull gray eyes. She couldn't stand the elder's immense desire to watch them all perish before her like wilting flowers.

Rose reached for Harry's hand, clasping it tightly and he did not argue, only matching her strong grip. Daniel grabbed her other hand, looking angry and anxious all the same, his eyes warily following the old woman as she continued to skim them over.

"Glad to see the gang is all here," said Cecilia, folding her hands in front of her as if trying to remain proper. "Thank you, Fredrick, for tracking this lot down."

The shapeshifter beside her still held an entertained grin, tipping his head just the slightest in acknowledgement.

"I plan on this being the last we meet," the elder continued. "I'm quite exhausted from our silly games of you escaping and me hunting. It's like a mouse and a cat going in circles." She shook her head, as if genuinely sorry. "Anyways, shall we end this?"

Before anyone had the chance to speak, the ground shook below them all. Cecilia held her hands out to her sides, palms facing the grass as it slowly cracked into a circle. A circle only wide enough for a fight, Rose thought.

Harry pushed Raven gently out of the circle, along with Jane and Fay. The rest of the townspeople stumbled backwards, shrieking and tripping over themselves. Cecilia flicked her right wrist just the slightest, but fire blazed around them, trapping them in her makeshift arena.

Cecilia let her hands fall to her sides, a proud smile gracing her wrinkled lips. But then she furrowed her brow, shook her head a little. "Why, there's only one of me and five of you. Perhaps we should make this more of a fair fight."

Rose felt the control seep into her the moment the words fled Cecilia's lips. She fought against it the best she could, grabbing the sides of her head as if she could squeeze it out. Harry seemed to catch on quicker than anyone, a different kind of flame flickering behind his eyes.

Utterly numb, losing the internal struggle, Rose was forced to walk over to the old woman and stand beside her. Even in her controlled, hazy state, she was shocked when the next person followed.

Megan—and she came willingly.

Harry's eyes widened, Daniel gasped, Jessie seemed confused, but Aiden appeared the most heart broken. "You... you've been helping her?" he squeaked, eyes almost appearing to be glossed over.

Megan folded her arms across her chest, slight guilt crossing her face but she hid it quickly. "I'm sorry it has to be this way," was all she managed to say.

Rose had never thought about what Aiden's power was. It had never once crossed her mind. But it was soon blatantly obvious with crackles of electricity filled his palms, sparking from his fingertips. He seemed to be hyperventilating from anger, the sparks only growing.