Chapter 3

✖ Chapter 3 

        "DID I EVER mention I hate talking about my supposed problems?" 

        "Only six times today."

        "Good, so can I leave now?"

        William sighed as he leaned forward, elbows on his knees. "Harry, I have to speak with you considering you put on quite the show in the cafeteria."

        "I told you," I said, exasperated. "The people were kicking the crap out of that poor kids and the guards weren't doing anything."

        "That's because that boy pesters everyone," he replied.

        "And that makes child abuse okay?" I rose an eyebrow, eyeing him and he sighed again. I could tell he was annoyed by the way he kept rubbing his temples.

        "Of course not. That boy - Dustin - is the warden's son. He's home-schooled and always comes to work with her, thus him causing a scene each time. That was normal what you saw. And believe me, he was not in pain."

        "Fooled me by the bruise on his eye."

         Pursing his lips, he folded his hands and leaned back in the chair, that stupid clipboard resting on his legs. "Let's switch the subject. How do you feel today?"

        I laughed humorlessly, giving him a look. "Are you serious?"

        "All right, another question." He lifted a paper and frowned for a moment before saying, "Who's Rose?"

        I scratched the back of my neck. "Clearly a female."

        "You don't say."

        "Can I please leave?"

        "Obviously this girl means something to you," he said as he rose his eyebrows. "Is she a best friend? Girlfriend?"

        Clenching my jaw, I glared at him. The guards had placed the shackles on me once more, which I can't say I blame him, but it was extremely difficult to not dive across the room and strangle him. I didn't want to talk about Rose with him. Hell, didn't even know where she was or what was happening. 

        William rolled his lips together. "You had a bad childhood, no?"

        "No," I said, tilting my head some. "I adored getting punched in the face and whipped four times a week."

        "Those are not laughing matters, Harry."

        "Then why the hell are we talking about it?"

        "I'm just trying to help you."

        "It would help if you let me leave."

       Dragging a hand down his face, William heaved a great sigh. A mixture of frustration and defeat. He hadn't gotten me to talk like he had so many other people. I don't open my mouth for anyone. I don't share secrets that I'd like to keep to myself. And I especially don't accept help from people who don't know a damn thing about me.

        He waved a hand to the guards and they gripped me on either arm, pulling me out the chair. He didn't say goodbye or see you later and neither did I. The guards took me straight to my cell while the others were at the quote unquote activities, and I didn't really mind as much as I should have. I wanted to be alone for a while.

        And yet, I should know by now that being alone does anything but clear your mind or even your thoughts. If anything, your thoughts jumble and your mind gets clouded. There's no distractions to keep them balanced, so you let them roam wild. Or at least, that's what happens with me.