Chapter 5

✖ Chapter 5 

        "YOU'RE LYING," WERE reasonably the first two words to leave my lips after the information Carson had just given me.

        But then I looked harder, and realized it was true terror on her face. You can fake being scared, but you can't fake the sweat and utter look of horror. She wasn't lying. She was speaking the truth. And that was no doubt worse than a lie.

     Carson swallowed and looked around nervously. "I think she's gone, but... this old lady said something before they... you know..."

       My eyebrows raised, all while trying to push away the horrible thought of Rose's brutal death. "What did she say?"

        She was shaking her head now. "I don't know... It's fuzzy..."

        "Carson."

        Carson twisted her hands together. "She... it doesn't make sense. But she said 'it's time for you to be who you really are' and then... yeah, you know the rest."

        "So she's not dead?" I inquired, pulling my bottom lip between my teeth while the sentence ran through my thoughts over and over, trying to make sense of it. 

        Who you really are...? What was that even supposed to mean?

        Carson shrugged. "I don't know. But I saw it, Harry. It was..." She was shaking her head again.

        Chewing the inside of my cheek, I gave her shoulder a squeeze and then a soft smile before nodding curtly. She ran her hands through her hair before scurrying back out the door, a guard following her to ask where she was going. I watched her until she disappeared completely.

        Dragging a hand down my face, I made my way back over to the chair and dropped down in it. Marcus was giving me an odd look, and now Daniel was, too, since the support group was over. I didn't know how to explain it. didn't even understand it to explain it.

        What could Cecilia be doing to Rose that would make her who she "really" is? And on top of that, why would Carson see her heart being ripped from her chest though the statement is enough evidence that Rose isn't dead? And on top of that, why the hell doesn't anything ever make sense anymore?

        "Why was creepy-psychic lady talking to you?" asked Daniel, eyebrows furrowed.

        I pinched my bottom lip between my finger before running my hand through my hair. I leaned forward, elbows on my knees. "I have no idea," I said honestly.

        "What did she say?" Marcus' turn to be skeptical.

        "Nothing that made sense."

        "What was it?"

        I glared at both of them. "I don't know. Apparently, she saw Rose getting her heart ripped out right after Cecilia said it was time for her to be who she quote-unquote really is. Does that answer your question? Because if it does, please enlighten me on what the hell I'm not understanding."

        Daniel's eyes bulged. "Her heart got ripped out?"

        Standing, I waved them away dismissively. "I don't want to talk about things I don't comprehend anymore... I'll see you guys at lunch."

        And a guard was waiting on my way out the door.

***

        A few days went by and I was anxious. Beyond anxious. I was infuriated for still being treated like a mentally ill patient and/or criminal, I was frustrated with not understand Cecilia's motives, and I was terrified for what I didn't know was happening to Rose.