Chapter 2

✖ Chapter 2 

        THE CAR RIDE there was about as unbearable as still knowing Rose wasn't with me. Cecilia apparently didn't find use in explaining what the hell we were doing going to an asylum, and we were in the back of a van so asking the driver would be pointless. To say the least, I was a bit anxious, if not nervous, and those are two feelings I utterly despise.

        "Rocking around, the Christmas tree at the Christmas party-"

        "It's June," Marcus said, giving Daniel a dirty look.

        Daniel returned his stare, then continued as if Marcus had said nothing. "At the Christmas party hop. Mistletoe hung where you can see..."

        I tuned out after that, resting my elbows on my knees as I hung my head. I was still attempting to wrap my head around the gist of it all, but it seemed practically impossible. Were we being sent here just because Cecilia was tired of dealing with us? It seemed believable enough.

        But what did she want with Rose that she didn't want with us?

        My thoughts were cut short and for once I was grateful. The van came to a halt and two doors slammed before the back doors were being opened. Daniel was whining about them being easy on his arms since he was fragile, Marcus looked bored, and I was just desperate to get the shackles off. At least from my feet if nothing else.

        But the shackles were charmed to keep us from using our magic against our transportation. The Council may be dumb majority of the time, but they are smart enough to forbid us from doing anything they don't want us to do.

        Assistants from the asylum waltzed out, two men grabbing either of our arms on either side. Muttering profanities under my breath, I realized the man on my right was giving me wary glances, as if he were terrified. And then I realized I was quite the popular one around these parts.

        I smirked, a little triumph coursing through me. Maybe this little sliver of fear can give me a leverage, if there are more in here like him. The more people afraid, the easier to control or escape or something other than sit in this horrid place for six months.

        "You know," I said in a low tone so the main guards up front wouldn't hear me. "I've broken these shackles before."

        The man muttered a shaky "shut up" and I licked my lips before rolling them together in attempts of suppressing a smile.

        Flicking my hair out of my face, I kept my mouth closed as we went through the door and then through the search. All I had to do was lie about being uncomfortable to be naked in front of someone, and the most they stripped me was to my underwear. Daniel, on the other hand, hadn't been as persuasive.

        "Hey! Whoa! Why are you touching there! I need a rape whistle over here!"

        We were given the asylum jumpsuits to change into, which were basically a dull teal blue. I frowned as I discarded my skinny jeans and button-down, two items I always had around. And of course my boots with the holes in the soles (a/n: didn't mean to rhyme, happens all the time... oops, I'm a poet and didn't know it... so done with myself wow, carry on). But the nurse paid no knowledge as she shoved them in a bag and then into a little compartment.

        The shackles were back on as soon as we were done changing, and it seemed like more guards had entered the room. It almost made me feel proud of myself for terrifying so many people, but Marcus was also very well known and very ruthless. I'm still not sure how word had gotten out about the whole necklace battle thing where we were caught, but clearly the Council doesn't mind a little positive publicity on their part.