XI - Backstory

The entire place was still quiet; the party went on to the wee hours of the night and it was only when Katsuki complained that they decided to get some sleep too. Most of them were still up when I made my way to my room, Katsuki disappeared a few minutes before, Kaminari and Eijiro urged that I stay with them for a little while. 

I got to meet their other Pro Hero friends and like Eijiro, they were all surprised about how close their resident recluse is with me. To me, I was actually surprised how he wasn't dropping in on their houses every single day. I was wondering how their Bakugo seems to be so different from my version of Katsuki. 

I enjoyed last night, they were all so different behind their masks. Somehow you'd just think that they're the young adults that they are, instead of the heroes responsible for saving Japan. They have quite a burden on their shoulders and it amazed me how they keep doing what they do every single day.

I woke up early. My body was just used to my school time, so even during weekends, I wake up at 6 am. The heroes gave me a great room, one that overlooked the ocean because they said I was an important guest. I rubbed my eye and looked around, wondering if anyone was awake yet.

It was deathly quiet when I got downstairs, they were all probably still asleep since it was really quite early. I decided to use the time to relax and sit down on the sand as it can be so rare for me to have quiet time like this. Although I live alone, I like to keep myself busy by working or doing something else. It is refreshing to just be at peace.

I looked back on what happened last night - the joy on their faces when Katsuki showed up, their laughter as they told stories from their high school years, the guitar that they passed around, and the food that Sugarman kept on making. Through everything, Katsuki remained by my side, barely interacting. When he does, he complained about it but I could see something in his eyes that told me he was glad to be there.

He probably just wouldn't say it.

"Hey."

I looked up and saw Katsuki holding two cups of what seemed to be coffee. He handed one to me and I took it without another word, Katsuki sat down beside me on the sand. He took a sip before saying, "You're early."

"Body clock."
"Same."

He looked beyond the horizon and smiled, "Didja enjoy yourself last night?"

"I did. Your friends are all amazing." They never made me feel like an outsider, included me in their singing, their story-telling, and even the games they prepared just for the occasion. "We're friends, right Katsuki?"

The blond shrugged before answering, "Nah."

I nudged him and pouted, "I'm serious." When he laughed, I continued, "Eijiro...he told me that you seem distant from them after graduation."

The smile he had on his face melted away, whatever he expected that I would say, it wasn't it.

"Is it okay if I ask why?"

Katsuki huffed and drank a bit of coffee, "Told you I was a bully, didn't I? Well, I wasn't the best in high school. I treated them all like crap." He murmured quietly as he looked at the black liquid in his cup, "After graduation, I just don't think they should be with someone as bad as me so I stayed away."

So Eijiro was right after all.

His red irises met mine, "I want to work on myself. Like what you said, I hafta work on forgiving myself too."

"They all love you, Katsuki."
"Yeah, those idiots really get on my nerves but they're all great."

I knew he was glad to be around his friends, he probably was just so used to not expressing it.

"You're great too, you know. The Katsuki Bakugo I know is far from whoever he was in the past." He was broken, that's why he's so distant, but he's working on himself and that's quite a step he's taking.

Not everyone does that.

Katsuki rolled his eyes, "Stop lying. I know I'm annoying."

"You can be." I tentatively laid my head on his shoulders and because he wasn't complaining, I stayed where I was, "But you're sweet and thoughtful. You bring me food, groceries... You cook for me."

"You're just so incapable of taking care of yourself. I don't want Mrs. Tanaka to blame me if you get sick." Katsuki said with a hint of humor, finishing his coffee. It was his subtle way of telling me that he cares.

"Wanna be the person who watches you heal, Katsuki." I whispered to him. I meant it, I hope he knows that.

I felt a bit of weight on my head, it was probably him leaning on me too, "Need to stay a long time to see that then, Ms. L/N."

"I don't mind."
"Mmm."

I stayed quietly beside him, wondering why the proximity felt so right. I wasn't sure whether this is because he was a constant presence in my life for a while now or maybe it was something else. But it was such a nice feeling, something I didn't want to move away from, something I wanted to keep my entire life.

Was that selfish?

"Have a lot of problems though, you sure you're up for it?" He asked softly.

I smiled at his question, "I may not be a professional hero but I'm willing to take it on." Besides, I don't think I'll leave even if he wants to.

"Never doubted you for a moment there, teach." He laughed.