XIII - Comfort

"You look sad, Miss."

I didn't know I was staring into the distance for a few minutes. Three of my students were watching me with worry on their faces.

"Oh, sorry. I was thinking about something."

It has been a few weeks since Katsuki and I last talked. According to him, he had to go on a mission after that fateful day. The hours turned to days, and then they turned to weeks.

The annoying presence I had in my life disappeared completely.

It was as though he never even existed. My kitchen was unused, and the empty spot on my couch remained...sad and bare. I missed his big figure squeezing himself into my smaller-than-average couch, and I missed seeing his shadow as he worked in my kitchen, bringing me warm hearty meals that he learned from when he was young. I missed his arrogant voice rambling on about how my diet was crap-

I missed him.
I missed Katsuki.

But I ruined us by telling him about my feelings. He looked almost sad that I even told him I liked him.

He probably saw me as a good friend, a confidante, and someone he would never see romantically.

I probably disgusted him.

"Whatever it is Miss, you'll be fine." One of my students smiled at me. I didn't want to, but I started tearing up. "You're great."

Another laid a hand on my shoulder, "Yeah! You help us with our problems, so whatever you're facing right now, you'll conquer it."

Maybe.

Maybe.

But how?

After school, I thought about bringing homework, but I have finished most of them already. In the weeks that went by, I drowned my free time with as much work as possible that today, I didn't have anything to do. 

I didn't realize that being with Katsuki was fleeting. That he will disappear from my life and that the beach was the last moment I had with him - I should've cherished it. I shouldn't have told him how I felt. I should've kept it. I should-

ring, ring

I was so distracted by my thoughts that I didn't realize I was the only one left in the faculty room. The soft orange light from the sunset and the loud ringing of my phone were the only ones keeping me company.

What does Red Riot need from me?

"Hello?"

"Hey, teach!" Eijiro Kirishima's warm voice came from the other line. He was the kind of person who you could hear his smile just by listening to his voice. Red Riot was famous because of this. He was the Pro Hero who would flash the friendliest smile your way that not even his sharp teeth could threaten. "Sorry! I didn't think of texting you. Were you doing anything when I called?"

His voice comforted me as though it brought me closer to Katsuki.

"I wasn't doing anything. I'm just on my way home from school actually." I answered. "Why? What can I do for you?"

Kirishima chuckled, "Ah, good timing! I'm actually in the area. I remember Bakubro telling me during the party that you lived near his place. Do you wanna grab dinner with me? I got questions for you if you don't mind."

"Is he going to be-"

"Ah, no. I haven't seen him in the past few weeks, so I wanted to ask you. Since, you know, you're the only one I can ask."

There was something about his statement that broke my heart. "Not anymore."

Eijiro insisted that we meet. I gave him the school address, and he drove to pick me up to talk over dinner. He chose a small American-style diner that I only see in Western movies. A few people were laughing over milkshakes, neon lights on the walls burned my eyes, and the smell of burgers made me feel warm inside.

He gestured for me to sit with him in a booth by the far end of the diner, and I did. "Let's order first. Don't worry, teach, my treat. Get whatever you like." He took the menu from the waitress that came over, "Hey Yuna, great to see you! Exams went well?"

I watched Red Riot chat with the pink-haired waitress. I knew he wasn't putting up that friendly act, and he was a genuinely nice guy.

"I'll have-" Eijiro snapped out from their conversation and turned to the menu, "Two burgers. Onion rings. Chicken wings, both will have barbecue sauce for the dip, you know the drill! And then, a big glass of cola."

Was he ordering for me too?

"What would you get, teach?"

Okay, no. That was all for him.

"Just a burger for me. And a glass of cola too. Thanks." I dropped my bag on the space next to me and made myself comfortable.

Eijiro grinned wide at me when Yuna the waitress left. "Okay, so I hope you don't mind." Then his smile melted into this concerned look, "I actually just want to ask you about how Kacchan is doing."

"I still have the same answer for you, Eijiro. I'm not the person to ask anymore." My heart stung. "I used to be. I think. But not now, not after-"

Eijiro's eyebrows met when I paused, "Not after what, teach?"

"Not after I confessed to him." There was no use even hiding it. Eijiro will know about it sooner or later. "He even said it wasn't what he wanted."

Eijiro leaned back on his seat, spread his arms over the back of the booth, looking like a large red eagle. "Damn, must've hurt."

"Tell me about it." I grumbled.

"But I'm honestly really confused why he said that. When I saw you with him during that party, I could feel he had feelings for you." He then tried remembering whatever it was that he saw. "For starters, he let you call him by his name."

"You call him Kacchan." I retorted.

He laughed at that, "Well, it irritates him to this day. We only called him that because Izuku calls him that back in school. It was fun to hear him explode over it." Then Eijiro's face turned softer as he went back to the matter at hand, "But you, man, he let you call him Katsuki."

"I can see the way he looks at you too. He never looks at anyone that way." Then he moved his hand over his eyebrows, "He usually has his eyebrows permanently melted together on his face, grumpy Dynamight all the time. And that frown! He growls! If looks could kill, we would all be dead now!"

I could feel that Eijiro was telling the truth, not just to make me feel better. I would be lying if I don't say that I could feel how kind he was, how differently he treated me, and how absolutely special he made me feel.

"I just wonder why he said that to you then disappeared." He gave a soft sigh, "Kacchan is super complicated and even though I try really hard to understand him, most of the times, I fail. Not that I'm a bad friend or anything but he just doesn't really want to share things with us."

Eijiro looked at me, "What about you teach, you know Kacchan pretty well, why do you think he said that?"

"I- I don't know." Honestly, I don't. I just don't want to overthink, I don't want to assume.

I just want... Katsuki back.

"You know what I think though?" He said as our orders got served, "He doesn't feel like he deserves you."

And a part of me believes he was right.