Chapter 14: trade of freedom

~Callum POV~

Screams rose from the inhabitants of the Silver Groove.

"What's happening Rayla?" I asked.
"I dunno Callum," she said worried, "let's go!"

"Let me ask you this one, more, time... where is the Step-Prince Callum?" A mysterious deep voice said.

We ran towards it.
"Here I am!" I shouted whilst looking at the cause of the screams.

Claudia and Viren stood side by side next to a man on a horse. He had long white hair and magnificent horns. He had a blue skin tone and an open sort of robe.

I looked at Rayla. Fear rose in her eyes.
"We have to run Callum!" she whispered.

"No please stay," the elf said, "I need something that you have back."

I looked around and saw Moonshadow elves laying unconscious on the ground.

I turned to Claudia, "Who is this, and why are you helping him."

"That doesn't matter, all that does is that we both have something that the other wants," Viren said.

Rayla questioned: "What do you have that we could want?"

He stepped down his horse. We glared at each other and he took out a pouch.
"I don't want money!" I said refusing to look at the pouch.

"You might want to take a closer look..." he said while taking out a coin. A glimpse of a Moonshadow elf was visible.

"Runaan, mom, dad?! What did you do to them?!" Rayla screamed about to attack Viren. I quickly grabbed her hand.

"He locked him up in a coin, isn't that obvious?" the evil elf said.

"Excuse me, but who are you?" I asked the elf.

"I'm surprised you don't know... well I go by many names-"

"Callum cover your ears!" Rayla shouted.

I did what she asked. I saw the elf mouth some words.

"Enough chit-chat, give me the cube and you will get your elf friends back," Viren said.

Claudia had been awfully quiet the entire time. My eyes glanced at hers. Did she really want this or did she just not want to disappoint her father? I don't know, but I do know that I have two choices, trade the cube, unknown what power it holds to the tall blue elf that looks very powerful and scary, OR don't give it and the elves stay trapped in the coin, till someone frees them, but what if we don't know the spell. There are just too many variables in this trade.

"Callum was it right?" the elf said, "I'll make it easy for you, these elves stay trapped forever, never to inhale air again, forgotten for eternity OR you give me the cube, which you have no access to anyway. Your choice, I'll give you a minute to think about it."

I turned sideways to face Rayla. Anger and confusion were spread visible on her face.

"Callum, t-they have Runaan and my parents. They're still alive. You can save them!" she whispered-shouting.

"I know Rayla, but we don't know what this cube does, we only know that it holds great power in Xadia."

"How do you know that?"

"My dad, the king, told me in his last letter, it belonged to a great mage called Aaravos."

"I'm flattered that you think I'm a great mage, but I don't have all day, you have 30 seconds left."

Rayla looked at me with a guilty expression. She mouthed 'I'm sorry'.

"We'll do it!" she said.

She got the cube out of my bag before I could react.

"I have to do this Callum, it's my only chance to bring them back!"

"Rayla, Zym almost got killed, because of Viren," I said while pointing at the evil mage, "and now you're just going to give this powerful cube back to his weird elf companion, think about it!"

Before I knew it the cube floated out of Rayla's hand into the elf's. When the cube touched his hand, his dark eyes became white, his platinum hair started to float, and the star on his chest lit up.

"Thank you so much, now give them the coins Viren," he commanded.

"Why? You really want to give them back one of their strongest fighters?" Claudia asked.

"Don't worry, they're no match against me anyway."

With a small flick of his hand, a rune was drawn. He shouted the word 'Cadete' and before I knew it both me and Rayla fell to the ground.

~Aaravos POV~

Ah yes, a tough-acting Moonshadow elf with a soft spot for family, nothing new. Stealing that cube was easier than expected, definitely, after the lost battle, I mean they did have all of Xadia against them, but when I reunite with Y/n, nothing can stop us.

Viren dropped the coins in front of them and I told them an easy way to free them, it only seemed fair. If I can get my loved one released why can't they?

I performed a spell that took us across to the human lands, where the lake was. I told Viren and Claudia to stay behind. This was going to be our moment, not theirs. I walked on the water to the center of the lake. I placed the cube. The moon covered the sun and the beauty of the night was revealed by a solar eclipse.

"Amor, you are my witness, I will free my star in the night sky. Y/N, I call upon the power of the arcanums and their nexus. First, there was darkness, the Stars, then a celestial body arise, The Sun, and it brought day. A replacement for the Sun was needed at night, The Moon appeared. All these celestial bodies needed a place, so The Sky originated. On our planet, there was only water, The Ocean. From the water, land rose, the Earth. Now I call upon the seventh arcanum, Dark Magic, that was made for the less fortunate, a hope in their life of depression."

I felt the power of the arcanums flow through me. Each moment my strength increased till I couldn't hold it any longer. I aimed it at the cube. It started to glow and rose in the air. A loud noise shook the ground. A rainbow-colored beam escaped the cube and spread across the land.

Suddenly a woman was standing, holding the cube in her hand. She opened her eyes. I ran up to her and embraced her.

"Y/n, words cannot describe how much I missed you, neither can they tell you how sorry I am..."

"Don't worry about it, the only thing that matters is that we are here together."

After being tormented by loneliness for so long, the feeling of having someone else with me was indescribable.

[Edited,
Thank the stars for grammerly]