[07] keep her safe

"This isn't a bite mark. It's just a scratch." Coach Kang hisses. "Now come and help me stack the chairs up!"

No one moves.

"Are you all deaf?!"

I jolt in surprise when the coach kicks one of the chairs towards my direction.

Cheong-San rushes to my side, pushing me behind him.

"That looks like a bite mark to me." I insist.

On-Jo and I-Sak nod in agreement.

"I said it isn't!" Coach Kang walks towards me in long, angry strides.

Cheong-San pushes me further behind him, completely hiding me from our teacher's view. That doesn't deter the elder's movements though. Cheong-San tries to stand his ground, but ultimately Coach Kang is successful in shoving him aside.

The coach leers at me, but I look at him straight in the eye. Whatever fear I felt earlier is long gone, replaced by anger at the fact that this man- a teacher who is supposed to be well respected- chooses to put his students in danger for the sake of what, exactly?

"I think you should leave." I say, my voice steady.

Cheong-San starts to walk towards us once again, but I motion for him to stop. On-Jo has to pull him back since he won't listen.

"Are you really going to make me leave, after everything I did to get here?"

He takes a step forward, and I take two steps back. Neither of us break eye contact.

"Yes." I reply curtly. "Please leave."

I can hear the screeching of chairs as Na-Yeon pulls them back to let the coach leave.

"You bitch." Coach Kang hisses, grabbing a fist full of my hair harshly.

I hiss in pain, but manage to kick him off me. He falls to the ground with a loud thud.

Su-Hyeok gets in between us before Coach Kang can steady himself.

Coach Kang stands, but then falls back down. We hear his bones crack as his body twists uncomfortably.

"Is he turning?" Na-Yeon asks in a shaky voice.

"Everyone, move back!" Su-Hyeok yells, extending his arm in front of me protectively.

"Ah, fuck. Is this really happening?" Gyeong-Su groans.

Cheong-San stands on my right, watching Coach Kang turn with an intense gaze.

Once he completely turns, he growls, charging towards I-Sak. On-Jo quickly grabs a bag and throws it at Coach Kang, making him fall. He stands back up and lunges himself at Min-Ji, who falls on her back in surprise.

I cover my mouth with both hands, my insides twisting in disgust as Coach Kang bites Min-Ji's face.

Dae-Su shouts in frustration, lifting our teacher off Min-Ji. Su-Hyeok and Cheong-San charge at Coach Kang, ramming him against the wall using a table Cheong-San had picked up.

"We have to leave!" I yell.

We huddle together except for Dae-Su who tries to hold Min-Ji off. She had turned into a zombie as well.

"Dae-Su, come on!" I motion for him to come with us.

"You guys go ahead, I'll hold Min-Ji off."

"Aish. Just throw her out the window or something. We're not leaving without you."

I'm saddened by what happened to Min-Ji, but the only thing on my mind right now is to escape.

Dae-Su nods and shoves Min-Ji away from him.