[13] sunrise

Pins and needles pierce through my skin as I stretch my legs out, my joints cracking softly after having stayed in one position for too long. Even without opening my eyes, the sunlight makes its presence known through my closed eyelids. I turn- or at least attempt to, groaning at the jolt of numbing pain on my right shoulder. Once the echo of sunlight disappears, I slowly open my eyes and come face to face with a sleeping On-Jo. Her features are soft- almost untroubled- save for the slight scrunch of her eyebrows.

Momentarily, I forget about the impending catastrophe lurking outside the classroom walls. I allow myself to feel like it's a Saturday morning, and in a short while our parents will wake us up with the savory smell of pancakes for breakfast- an uncommon dish but still one of my favorites.

I use my hands to push the upper half of my body off the ground, my vision slowly adjusting to the sunlit room.

It's ghost-quiet, save for the soft snores emitting from Dae-Su's mouth. My gaze lands on Wu-Jin who struggles to find a decent position to sleep in. His eyebrows are furrowed, almost as if the entire weight of the world rests on him. His head is carefully laid on top of Dae-Su's left arm, while Joon-Young occupies the right arm.

It's a shame I don't have my phone with me. It's one of the rare moments Wu-Jin actually looks his age, his normally sharp features now warm with sleep.

I can feel a smile forming on my lips the longer I stare at their sleeping forms, and to most people I probably look like a maniac.

"What's got you smiling like that?"

My body jolts in surprise at Cheong-San's sudden words. I turn to him, throat dry.

The rays of the sun form a soft halo around his body, making him look ethereal. His body is facing the window, but his head is turned sideways to face me.

"Definitely not your face." I stick my tongue out at him.

My choice of words is a poor attempt to mask the warm feeling fluttering in my chest upon laying my eyes on him.

He shakes his head and turns to face the window once more. In one swift motion, I heave myself off the ground, Su-Hyeok's balzer falling lightly near my feet. I make a mental note to retrieve it  later.

"Why are you up so early?" I ask, moving to stand beside him.

"I didn't sleep." He answers.

My eyes widen, worry gnawing in my chest. "Cheong-San-ah..."

"It's fine." He smiles, meeting my gaze. "I couldn't sleep anyway."

"Worried about me?" I grin cheekily.

He blushes, but manages to regain his composure quickly. "You're violent when you're asleep."

I tilt my head questioningly. "What do you mean?"

"You kick too much." He laughs and pinches my cheek, my heart pounding erratically at his actions. "Don't worry, I don't mind."

I pout, slapping his hand away gently. "I was probably dreaming about kicking your ass."

"Well I'm flattered you dreamt of me." He smirks.

I feel the heat rising to my cheeks when I realized what I said. "You're annoying."

"Whatever you say, Tokki."

It's silent once again, both of us turning our attention to the field of green before us. It's a pretty romantic scene, except for the unwanted detail of zombies lurking around the lush fields.

"Nobody came." I whisper.

Cheong-San looks down, and I can feel his restlessness by watching the way he taps his fingers against the cold metal frame of the broken window.