[10] traitor

"How long has he been in there?" I ask, extending my arm, my palm covering my eyes from the blinding ceiling light as I lay on Wu-Jin's lap.

Wu-Jin runs his fingers through my hair and looks at the recording booth distractedly. "30 minutes, maybe?"

I sit up and look around the room.

Cheong-San is pacing in front of the recording booth, occasionally peeping inside to check if Gyeong-Su is okay. Su-Hyeok is sitting on the other side of Wu-Jin, almost falling asleep. On-Jo sits directly in front of me with her head hung low.

I decide to approach her. We haven't really talked ever since I-Sak... turned.

"Hey, stranger." I greet her, making myself comfortable on the chair beside her. "I know it's stupid to ask, but how are you holding up?"

On-Jo sighs and looks down at her hands. "I miss I-Sak."

"Me too." I frown. "Hey, maybe after all of this we can go downtown and eat all of the street food we come across. I-Sak used to love doing that."

"It'll be like she's still with us." On-Jo smiles, gaze meeting mine. "We'll be okay, right?"

"On-Jo," I intertwine her fingers with mine. "I'm not going to let them get you."

"And I won't let them get you too." On-Jo's smile widens, genuine this time.

Her gaze flickers towards Su-Hyeok who suddenly stands and walks towards the broken window.

"So, what do you plan on doing with him?" I ask casually.

Talking about a person's love life in the middle of a zombie outbreak isn't ideal, but it's a good way to take a break from all of the chaos. We're still teenagers afterall.

"Nothing." On-Jo sighs. "I don't think he likes me back."

"Why not? Did you ask him?"

"I can tell." On-Jo chuckles, swinging her feet. "I think he likes someone else."

"Oh?" My curiosity peaks. "I never noticed."

"Of course not." On-Jo laughs, playfully shoving me. There is something in the way she looks at me- sad, but still somehow teasing. "I think the person he likes is pretty clueless."

I shrug. "Whoever she is, she's lucky. Bare-Su's a catch."

"You're really saying that while Cheong-San's just a few feet away from you?"

"What, can't I appreciate Bare-Su's good looks while still being in love with that idiot over there?" I point my chin towards Cheong-San whose mouth was pressed against the window of the recording booth's door, making funny faces at Gyeong-Su. "The fuck is he doing?"

"I really wonder what you see in him." On-Jo thinks out loud.

"He's sweet, even though he annoys me a lot." I reply, draping an arm over On-Jo's shoulder. "And about Bare-Su, it's his loss if he doesn't see what an awesome girlfriend you'd be."

"You're only saying that because you're my friend." On-Jo rolls her eyes.

"No, I mean it." I pull her closer to my side. "Don't let any boy tell you otherwise."

"Thank you, Na-Ri." On-Jo leans her head on my shoulder.

"Ms. Park," Cheong-San calls out, gaining everyone's attention. "Maybe you can convince Gyeong-Su to come out now? It's been 30 minutes."

"I'll try." Ms. Park nods and enters the recording booth.

In my peripheral view, I see Na-Yeon taking out her handkerchief, walking towards the mop that was used to stab the zombie earlier. I tilt my head in curiosity, silently observing her.