[08] the hardest goodbye

"Why are your hands cold?" On-Jo raises hers and I-Sak's intertwined hands, pressing them against her cheek.

"What are you talking about?" I-Sak pulls her hand back.

"I-Sak," I walk towards the pair, standing in front of On-Jo protectively. "Your nose is bleeding."

"T-that's impossible." I-Sak mutters, looking down at her hands. "I-I wasn't bitten. It can't be."

"What's happening?" Gyeong-Su asks, approaching us as well.

Cheong-San motions towards I-Sak, whose eyes are slowly turning red.

"Shit." He curses, taking a step back.

"It's not true." I-Sak's voice is shaky. "I'm not turning into one of them, right?"

She meets my gaze and my throat tightens. She looks so broken and scared, and I can't even do anything to help her. I-Sak was always there for both On-Jo and I, and losing her feels like losing a sister.

"I-Sak," I reach out a shaky hand in front of her.

She whimpers, slowly walking into my open arms. "Na-Ri, I don't want to die."

I hold her tighter, not being able to stop my tears from falling.

All I ever want is to protect my friends, and today I lost two.

"Na-Ri, I-Sak," On-Jo places a hand on my back.

I-Sak suddenly lets go and starts to walk towards the opposite direction.

Everyone in the room watches her as she walks towards the door. "I-I think I have to go now."

"I-Sak..." I furiously wipe my tears away, still feeling On-Jo's reassuring touch on my back.

I flinch when I-Sak's body suddenly jolts backwards, then straightens. She twists her body to face us, then lunges.

I freeze, not being able to tear my gaze away from I-Sak's approaching form. Cheong-San is quick on his feet, throwing himself in front of me. He shoves I-Sak out the window, but On-Jo suddenly grabs onto her. All I can feel is a wave of fear as I watch my two best friends dangling out the window.

"On-Jo!" I rush beside her, trying to pry her hands off I-Sak's struggling form. "Please let her go."

It pains me to say the words out loud, triggering all the memories the three of us shared before all of this started happening. The three of us buying street food, taking pictures in a photo booth, our sleepover at I-Sak's place. All of the memories that cannot be replaced. The I-Sak in front of us is not how I choose to remember her, she will always be the ever reliable I-Sak in my eyes.

"Please let her go." I repeat in a soft voice. "I can't lose you too, On-Jo."

On-Jo lowers her head sadly, still not being able to let go.

"Hey, step back a bit."

I look back at Cheong-San and see him holding up a stool. I take a few steps back, my body almost slamming into Wu-Jin's. He holds my waist to steady me.

Cheong-San pushes the chair against I-Sak to force On-Jo to let her go.

I hear her struggling, causing me to breakdown once again.

Wu-Jin turns me around and lets my head rest on his chest, his arms circling around me protectively.

"Don't look." His voice is sad.

I choke out a sob and he holds me tighter, trying his best to calm me down.

I hear a scream and a thud.