𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

CHAPTER EIGHT: EPHEMERAL

"Well, well, well...I see why you're still not back in the castle, Lilia."

Lilia's crimson irises expanded in astonishment as he immediately turned around, only to see Maleficent staring at him with her magnificent glowing green eyes. As a response, Lilia kneeled on one knee, fist crossed to his chest, and tilted his head down in greeting to the sorceress.

"Mistress Maleficent. I apologize for not returning to the castle, I got⏤"

"That you're badly injured? I know." Maleficent interjected as Lilia motioned for him to stand, which he discreetly did. Lilia pursed his lips as he observed her staring directly at [Name]. He cursed internally, knowing how much Maleficent despises humans.

Oh no...

"Oh? It's really the rumored prince of thorns. I never thought he's alive." Maleficent suddenly said with an obvious hint of distaste mentioning the kingdom, surprised to see the prince alive and living alone in the forest...?

Aren't his so called parents ordered someone to kill him?

What did she mean by that...? Thought Lilia when he heard Maleficent said that. Is it possible that she also knew all that happened at [Name]?

He should ask Maleficent about it later.

"Why's so tense Lilia? Loosen up a bit. I'm not gonna do something bad." Lilia flinched when he heard Maleficent says who's eyes didn't left the sight of the oblivious human. "How...how did you found me Mistress?" Lilia asked which Maleficent hummed as the rabbit hopped towards them, more specifically to Maleficent.

"A certain rabbit told me once." With a wave of Maleficent's finger that glow in a beautiful shade of green, Lilia watched how the rabbit turned into a child with bunny ears who grinned at him, before Maleficent turn the kid back in his form.

How did he does he not realize it sooner? 

"Go back at the castle Lilia, we have a lot of matters to do." Maleficent stated, changing the topic before turning her back and glance at him in her shoulder. "You can tell [Name] about your leave." She says walking away with her body started glowing cause of her magic and started to fade.

Lilia looked down with a frown on his face as Maleficent disintegrated into tiny specks of glowing green dust, hearing Maleficent's final words before disappearing...

"I know you've taken a fond of the human, but don't get too close to him. He'll get in our way, and he'll endanger himself if he gets involved."

...

The sun shone down on the thick cobblestone walls, casting sharp, vivid shadows that contrast with the blindingly bright reflections.

Through the huge oak doors of the imposing fortress is a spacious chamber packed with rows of guards dressed in flashy armour and colors. The chamber smells like gold, with a harsh odor that coats your tongue.

The light from the enormous windows bounces off the treasure from all directions, filling the space with a warm, golden, shining, sparkling radiance. Occasionally, ceremonial swords and armour peek out of the mounds, projecting at odd angles.

Finally, in the throne room, on the high-backed throne, there sat the ruler of Thorns.

The enormous door suddenly opened before someone entered, and the sound of their shoes clicking on the marbled floor could be heard. A young woman clad in armor and wielding a blade smeared with crimson came to a halt directly in front of the ruler of Thorns.

"Your highness."

The woman in armor greeted the queen, and the queen's jeweled headpiece swayed slightly with the movement, her face sculptured with a loving expression. "Have you found the location where that dragon crashed yet?" The queen asked, her previously sympathetic smile changing to rage when she noticed the woman in front shook her head and spoke.

"Unfortunately, we did not, but I suspect they may have been swept away by the falls in the unknown forest." The young woman replied as she watched her mother, the queen, rise from her throne and approach her, caressing her cheeks with her slender [skin color] hand and smiled at her.

"Make sure you go find that beast and kill him, Aurora. I won't risk a chance of being defeated by them."