Chapter 4 || Pressure

You thought today would be a good day for once. Seeing that the funds Kenny left for you and Levi wouldn't last forever, you've been determined to find ways to make ends meet, but of course, finding respectable work in the Underground is far easier said than done especially considering your young age. Usually, you're paid for simple tasks like helping merchants load supplies onto their wagons or that one time you managed to milk three whole coins off some poor MP soldier who was desperate for information on some criminal in the area, however, this week has marked the first where you actually received a steady job spanning over the course of several days.

A local storekeeper had been outside complaining to a customer about being understaffed when you decided to offer your service. While they were originally against the idea, they eventually gave into your persistence, agreeing to let you work for them but only until their employee returns from sick leave. For the last four days, you've worked for the store while earning a decent wage much to your delight and, by the end of it, you were provided with enough money to buy food for the whole month.

With so much money in hand, you've decided to indulge for once, after all, this might be the only time you can afford to do so. The plan was to purchase some groceries as well as an early birthday present for Levi then make a nice dinner for tonight, but those plans have now been soured when catching sight of a crowd just down the street.

People are circled around at the end of the block, screaming and shouting cheers to whatever's going on in the center. Of course, you're not stupid. You assume based on the context clues that it's a fight, and whenever you see a fight nearby, you make the next conclusion which you always hope to be wrong, but that day has yet to come.

"Levi!"

Your once optimistic mood towards the day melts into anger and annoyance as you push past the crowd, your dull eyes locked with the two fighters. One is a man who's down on the ground, wiping the blood off his face the second the blows finally halt thanks to his attacker flinching at the sound of his name.

"What the hell are you doing?! Didn't I tell you no more fights?!" You grab your brother's arm, spinning him around to face you which is something he tries to avoid. Instead of looking up, he keeps his eyes on the ground.

"But he-!" Levi attempts to argue his case, but you don't give him the chance.

"Did he swing first?"

"Well, he-"

"Did. He. Swing. First?" Levi presses his lips together stubbornly, sneaking a quick glance at the deadly poison in your eyes before reluctantly shaking his head.

"...No," He spits the word as if it kills him to admit, continuing to glare at the ground as if it did something wrong. Meanwhile, you rub your tremble with your free hand before using it to drag him away behind yourself.

"I can't believe you. We're going home and once-"

"-'ey now, where ya' runnin' off to so fast, little lady? Ya' know ya' can't leave a fight 'til it's finished. The kid's gotta finish what he started," the man Levi had been fighting steps in front of you both, successfully cutting you off from a hasty exit.

"I apologize for whatever my brother did, sir. I assure you he'll never do it again," you send a glare back to your brother who clicks his tongue in annoyance.

"'Sorry' don't cut it 'round here, princess. Ya' gotta pay for the damage. That's how life works, ya' know?" The man leans forward, getting dangerously close to your face even as you try to lean back with disgust. His breath smells like a pub and his yellow teeth are stained with the blood that oozes out the gap where one of his incisors use to be.