Chapter 5 || Underground Birds

The sound of mechanical whirring bounces off the cave walls in a crisp echo citizens below have no doubt become annoyed with at this point. The high pitched screeching of wires demands their attention to the dark shadows above just in time to catch the four blurs fly by. They make it look effortless; racing through the air with perfect grace and balance while weaving between stalactites with cloaks that flap behind them like wings. It's no wonder that they've become the closest thing the Underground has to birds.

"Heads up everyone! We're being followed!" Pivoting enough to catch a good look at their new tail, the blond of the group alerts the others of its presentence which is nothing alarming, in fact, he shows more annoyance that worry or even surprise," not too many today! Just the four it looks like!"

"Hmph. Those poor dumbasses just don't learn, do they?" The redheaded girl smirks while looking coolly over her shoulder, however, her demeanor completely washes away with the glow of childish joy in her eyes," wasn't that really cool what I just said, Levi?!"

"Keep your eyes forward unless you want to run into something, idiot!" Levi only spares a quick glance at the young girl who frowns in disappointment, but that isn't much of his concern at the moment. Instead, his eyes return forward, setting on you for direction which he knows you'll provide; you always do in these situations.

"It doesn't matter if there's only four of them! We can't risk leading anyone back home! Just follow me!" Without ever looking back to the others, you readjust your grip on your handles then dive straight towards the ground at what most would consider an alarming speed. As you get closer to the stone street, you send grapples into a small bridge ahead before pulling back on the bottom trigger to propel yourself forward, narrowly missing several unsuspecting civilians on the way.

Finally checking behind yourself, you're pleased to see Levi flawlessly copy the move without a single crack to his bored expression, Furlan and Isabella following in suit with the latter's laughter filling the air along with the curses of the people below who had been left in your group's dust, or better put gas.

"WOOHOO! THAT WAS SO COOL, BIG SIS!" Usually, you'd send Isabella a smile in return for her enthusiasm, however, when you once again turn backwards, you notice the four soldiers still following behind, not to mention they're gaining.

"You've got that 'look' on your face. You gonna share with the class or what?"

You're nibbling on your lip, a habit Levi loves to give you crap for even in moments like this and, while it normally annoys you, you might not have the time to match your brother's smartass behavior today," I don't think those guys are with the Military Police. No MP gives enough of a damn about their job to put this much effort into chasing us nor do I think they'd be skilled enough to pull off a move like that."

Your brother raises an eyebrow," do you think-"

"-I'll check," you then call back to Furlan and Isabella," double back at the next pillar!"

They nod and the four of you rise higher into the air. Upon approaching a giant stone pillar, you latch your grapples into it at the last minute while in near sync with each other and use the force to swing yourselves back around the other side. While doing so, you maneuver yourself in the air to pry at your oddly determined pursuers. For that split second, you unintentionally meet the eyes of one of the men, his amused smirk managing to piss you off even more than the fact that all four perfectly mimic the same move around the pillar.

"DAMN, THEY'RE GOOD!" Isabella exclaims before spotting the dim looks on both you and Levi's faces which leads her to change her own," I mean- They're kinda shit, aren't they?"

"I never thought the Survey Corps of all people would come after us," you comment with a missable hint of apprehension, earning the attention of Furlan and Isabella.