Chapter 10 || Beyond Prison Walls

You expected to be more nervous than this. Based on the endless horror stories you've been told, most soldiers experience permanent chills down their spines and difficulty holding onto their horses' reins given how much their nerves shake.

You expected to be the same way even if it would seem out of character for yourself, but on the contrary. You're calm, maintaining a proper grip to the reins as you stare ahead in preparation, then again, it's possible that the reality of the situation hasn't hit you just yet.

If you had to guess, you'd say Levi's feeling the same. He merely blinks at Furlan's own worry which bounces off your group, a hint of regret laced in his voice as he realizes there's truly no turning back at this point. Maybe that's the true reason as to why you're so calm right now. For you, the point of no return was stepping outside of the Underground for the first time; exiting the Walls should be nothing compared to that.

Advancing through that old gate was like drawing back a curtain to look at the morning sun. Despite it being day both inside and out, the world that greets beyond the bare safety of society seems vastly brighter. Here, there are no roads aside from the beaten down path worn into place by the hundreds of former Scouts whose footsteps you now trace. Aside from that, you can't spot a single sign of human touch. This land is beyond humanity's territory; from here on out, you're at the mercy of titans.

"It's so vast..." you feel the need to comment aloud, your newborn appreciation for this landscape feeling misplaced when considering the scared shitless expressions of some of the other soldiers around you.

"It's amazin'!" Isabell agrees, holding her arms out as if to embrace the sun shining over you all.

"...Yeah..." Levi's agreement comes in a hushed tone, yet with one glance his way, you know it's true. His own eyes glitter in astonishment, mouth parted slightly as he takes in the sight. To think neither of you had even seen the sun for most of your lives. Now you're a part of the few people able to see beyond the Walls...

"Shit, this wasn't the plan, (Y/n)..." Furlan hisses beside you, the formation luckily spread out enough so that no one else will likely hear," we weren't meant to get pushed outside the Walls like this. We should've gotten those papers before this point."

"While I agree that putting ourselves in this type of danger isn't desirable, no plan is without its setbacks, Furlan, and if we can't adapt to them, we can't expect to achieve our goals," you answer, narrowing your eyes towards the front of the formation," we also need to be willingly to make bets here. My bet at the moment is that Erwin's been carrying those documents on him, possibly the whole time. If I'm correct about that, then that means it was unavoidable getting to this point. The chances of taking them directly from him and getting away with it were slimmer inside the Walls...but perhaps this new situation can actually play in our favor."

You exchange a look with Levi who bows his head in understanding. Out in the fields of such dangerous territory, chaos can erupt at any given second. If Erwin happens to die after being separated in the haze from his squad, then who's to say it wasn't by a titan's hand?

"Don't worry about the titans. I can handle them," Levi announces, although that does little to calm Furlan.

"They're titans!"

"So? You don't trust me?"

"It's not that..." Furlan complains bashfully, gaining a teasing chuckle from Isabell.

"Poor Furlan! You're already tremblin' and we haven't seen nothin' yet!"

"I'm not trembling!"

"Well I'm not scared! I'd be able to take care of those titans licky-split-!"