|| Chapter 3 ||*

The first few days in their new home went fine. (Y/n) manged to find small work to get money for them both, even if it never was much. Her goal was to at least feed Levi, it didn't matter if she ate or not as long as he did.

They were both on their own for the time being, only having each other yet it wasn't the whole time. At one point, when (Y/n) went back to their old neighborhood, she meet someone she had only met once before a long, long, time ago.

Kenny Ackerman, their uncle. 

Kenny stayed with them but only for a mouth and a haft. It wasn't every long however in someways it was nice to have him around, others, not so much.

One good reason to have him around was, well, he was family. He took care of the two the best he could, giving them food, stuff like that. (Y/n) didn't mind him at first for he was the only male Levi ever really saw as a 'role model'. She thought that it would be good for him to have a father kind of figure in his life but as time went on, she saw she was wrong.

She noticed that Kenny started teaching her brother how to fight, which at first she didn't mind until Kenny brought Levi back with cuts and bruises. She was then told Levi got in a fight, something she liked not one bit. If Levi was going to learn how to fight, she wanted it to be to defend himself, not put himself in danger.

 One fight lead to another, driving poor (Y/n) crazy. She hated how Kenny taught Levi to do these things and say they were okay. But soon, to her slight relief, Kenny left...without saying goodbye too...

Levi was upset and (Y/n) was a bit hurt too but at least she thought it would keep Levi out of trouble and that she could teach him right from wrong the way she saw it. However...no matter how much she taught him to stay out of fights, he still got into them...

~~~Two Year later~~~

(Y/n) made her way down the streets, her hands in her pockets as she stared at the ground. She manged to get some money for helping out at a small market which, even if it wasn't much, was enough for a bit of food. 

'I can buy some bread for dinner and breakfast, at least we'd be getting something in our systems,' she thought to herself, smiling tiredly.

Her thoughts were quickly interrupted by yelling and cheering down the street a bit. When she looked up, she saw a group of men surrounding the street in a circle, their fist in the air as they cheered loudly while laughing as well.

(Y/n) raised an eyebrow, watching up to the group with slight curiosity to see what the men found so entertaining. She stood on her toes, trying to see all the tall men, realizing that there were people fighting in the middle of the group but not a fight between any two people, no, one of them just happened to be Levi...

(Y/n) narrowed her eyes at the sight of her brother fighting, making a fist and she made her way through the men," Levi Ackerman..."

At the sound of the voice, everything stopped even the fight. Levi froze, flinching at his sister's voice as he didn't dare turn to face her. The man he was fighting lied on the ground, whipping the blood off his face as it flowed through his nose due to a punch he revived from the nine year old. 

"What the hell are you doing?! Didn't I tell you no more fights?!" (Y/n) grabbed Levi's hand, spinning him around to face her as he stared into her eyes, fear flashing in his own.

"But he-" Levi began as (Y/n) narrowed her eyes.

"Did he swing first?"

"Well-"

"Did. He. Swing. First." (Y/n) asked sternly, pulling Levi closer as he looked down and to the side.

"...No..." was his answer as (Y/n) sighed, rubbing her temples with her free hand before turning and walking off as she dragged him behind her," we'll talk about this at home."

"Hey, where ya' going so fast? You know you can't leave a fight until its finished. This kid gotta finish what he started," the man Levi was fighting stepped in front of them both cutting them off from the exited.

"I'm sorry for whatever my brother did. I assure you he will never do it again," (Y/n) glared at Levi as she said 'never' as he looked away, avoiding her eyes.

"'Sorry' doesn't cut it here, princess. You gotta pay us back somehow. Its how life works," the man leaned forward closer to (Y/n)'s face as she leaned back.

"Sorry, got no money," she lied as he shook his head, wrapping an arm around her waist as she gasped.

"Well then there's many other ways, my dear," he whispered in her ear as she growled.

Giving the man no time to say another word, she moved her hand up, punching him right in the face as he stumbled back, falling onto the ground while he was out cold.

Everyone laughed loudly, pointing to the man while making comments like 'ha! Beat by a girl' or 'that's gotta hurt'. As they all laughed as (Y/n) march off, looking back at the shocked Levi as he stared at the knocked out man," come on, Levi. We're going home."

Without needing to be told again, Levi followed her back home, neither saying a word the whole time. (Y/n) opened the door to the house, glaring in front of her as Levi was the one to shut the door, looking down at the ground," I'm sorry I got in a fight...again."

"How many times has this been this mouth, Levi?" (Y/n) asked, putting a hand on her forehead as Levi looked to his fingers, counting with a frown.

"This makes...five this mouth..." He whispered. He then looked up to her," but I promise this is the last one!"

There was silence as (Y/n) just stood there, not saying a word which worried the boy. He stepped forward going to grab her hand," (Y/n)?"

"...I..." she sighed, shaking her head as she moved her hand away," I need time alone please..."

Levi frowned as she walked off, disappearing into their room while shutting the door behind her. He felt guilty which was a feeling he hadn't felt much before. He respected the fact that his sister needed alone time so he sat down on the couch and found a book that (Y/n) got him a year before for his birthday. It was one she found about the soldier's she talked about those two years ago. Survey corps soldier's.

He didn't get to far in the book when he heard a sound from the room, one that sounding a lot like crying. Concerned, he got up, walking over to the door and pushing it open a crack. 

There on the floor by the bed was (Y/n), her face hidden in her hands as she cried. Levi never felt any worst that seeing her upset like that. He knew he was the reason she was crying. He knew she did so much to protect him, to make sure he was safe. He wasn't blind nor stupid. He knew when she went days without eating just so she could feed him, he knew when she got sick yet still went out to find work. And what had he done to thank her? Get in fights and only add more stress to her plate?

The boy pushed the door open fully, walking over to her with his head hung low as he sat by her side. He rested his head on her shoulder, staring at the ground as he listened to her cries. She was all he had left now, the only person alive that cared and loved him and he returned those feelings for her.

"I'm sorry...I'll be a better brother now. I'll help get money and food, and I'll get into less fights. Just don't cry-" he whispered, looking to her and moving her hands away from her face so he could look into her eyes. He cleared her tears away with his thumbs,"-Ackerman's don't cry."

She stared at him for moment, laughing sadly as she wrapped her arms around him, bringing him close. He quickly hugged her back, hiding his face in her shoulder," we'll make this work...we'll do it together." 

(Y/n) smiled, running a hand through the boys hair and planting a kiss on his forehead.

"Thank you, Levi."