Chapter 13 || In Blood

Much to your relief, the rain has begun to clear enough for you to finally see who's riding beside you, no longer forced to guess through blurred vision. With a quick glance around, you're grateful to notice that everyone's still present; Erwin's entire squad made it through the storm- Wait, should you really be happy about that?

From the fading fog, Commander Shadis's squad soon joins the rest of you unscathed. Although the weather has improved, that doesn't change the fact that all the smoke guns had been drenched, therefore he provides new orders for how to contact the other remaining squads whoever they may be.

"Spread out into small groups and head towards the nearest squads! Once you cross one, have them send a messenger or two of their own to the next and so forth! Messengers will then relay a report back to the front of formation so that we can understand just how many losses we've encountered!"

"Sir!"

"Ina, Christoph, and Stefan head West. Mike, (Y/n), you stay with me," not that he probably realizes it, but Erwin manages to save himself from a nasty argument by choosing to have you go East along with Mike and him; East towards the right of the formation.

You're certain if you didn't have such a talent in controlling your nerves, you'd be a heaving mess by now as you internally concern yourself over the whereabouts of dear brother and friends. You made a call to trust them on their own while you joined Erwin's squad, however you would've never done so had you known this storm would've occurred. How did they hold out during it? Hopefully alright, although you won't be surprised if Levi still has your head for all of this once it's over.

Turning your gaze, you spot steam in the distance which sets hope into your bones," looks like downed titans, three o'clock."

"Several for there to be that much steam," Mike adds quietly, but you've already concluded as much yourself.

Hitting the reins, you reroute your horse in that direction without a second's hesitation. No ordinary soldiers could kill that many titans at once; not with the skills you've observed the majority of scouts to have. It must be Levi and the others. Of course! They could easily work together and take down as many titans as possible which means you were right to trust them; they're safe!

"LEVI!" You don't give a shit at this point if any other titans are out wandering about. When you spot the raven hair of your brother kneeling in the distance, your instincts just take over, pulling you towards him like gravity.

In a blink, you're off your horse, almost failing to land on your feet properly, not that you mind a small slip. Instead, you recover your balance by throwing your arms over Levi's shoulders, embracing him close despite all the nasty titans' blood he's coated in. You'll take titans' blood over his own any day.

"...You're okay. Thank goodness you're okay..." you whisper breathlessly against his damp shoulder, however that breath truly does escape you once opening your eyes.

Levi only then puts his arm around you in a weak grip barely felt, confirming both his knowledge of what has suddenly upset you and the sickening sight itself...It's real. No matter how much you wish otherwise, your eyes aren't deceiving you.

"Are you the only one here? Are there no other survivors?" You squeeze Levi closer, Erwin's questions completely numb against your ears. How could you bother listening to him when all your attention is focused on Isabell's head lying a few feet away, ripped from her body with her mouth hung open yet eyes closed gently as if she's merely sleeping. Furlan isn't nearby and you don't even hear his voice which must mean he, too...

"All of these titans...Did you do this alone-?" Erwin continues to press as he rides up beside you both.

You can't acknowledge him nor process what's happening fast enough. In a split second - faster than your heart can skip a beat - Levi pushes himself away from you, leaping towards the Squad Leader and slamming him off his horse into the mud. Erwin's body makes a painful sound against the ground, the air leaving his lungs from the force, yet by the time you gasp and Mike jumps off his own horse, Levi already has his blades drawn.