Chapter 10 - Throwing a Thanksgiving Party in England

"It was great to meet you guys. See you on Thursday."

Sandy, Geoffrey and I made one last goodbye, then we all separated. The American boys stayed behind playing pool. My two male companions were on either side of me as we walked through the campus.

"Those were a great bunch of Americans," Geoffrey commented, and we saw his breath in the air. We could see the breath of all three of us, actually. It was probably around forty degrees, so not too bad, but still cold. There was a cloud cover, so the night seemed darker. Thank goodness for the lanterns on posts adorning various places around the campus.

"I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself, Geoffrey," Sandy said. "And yes, once you get to know them, Americans are quite nice."

He gave me a pointed look, and I smiled. "I can't wait for Thursday. It's going to be so much fun and really busy."

"The holidays usually are," said Geoffrey. He looked around. "So... are we both walking the lady home or is she bunking here with us?"

Of course he meant that as a joke... maybe. I said, "Eve's bike is over at the library building. I can just ride it."

"And I'll run with you as you do," said Sandy, and Geoffrey huffed.

"Of course, since you could run a kilometer and not get tired," he remarked. "I may have gone on that trip to Norway, but we didn't do much running. I'm not the running type, just rowing."

"You use your arms more than anything else," said Sandy with a chuckle. "I will make sure Katie gets back safely."

"Alright, alright. I wouldn't be able to tackle any sod who tries to jump out of the bushes anyway. Well... goodnight, then."

"Goodnight, Geoffrey," I said. "And thank you so much again for talking with your mother about Thanksgiving."

He waved a hand. "Not a problem. She is a saint, that woman. Anyway, see you Thursday."

"See you later, Geoffrey."

He was off, and Sandy and I watched after him. "He really is a good lad," Sandy said, "he just cannot help himself when in the company of beautiful women."

I cleared my throat at that, knowing he mostly meant me, I was sure of it. I knew, though, that Geoffrey flirted with a lot of girls. "Let's go get the bike. I can just walk it—I don't want to make you run when you did just this morning."

"I actually didn't run this morning. I was working on the oxygen apparatus."

We started walking to the bike, and some guys passed us. "Oh gosh, I really want to see it, but I know girls aren't allowed in the rooms of the dorms, just like Eve's building."

"Indeed, but that doesn't mean we cannot break a few rules."

"Sandy, you troublemaker!"

He laughed. "What? I really want to show you, anyway. How about you wait in the entrance corridor while I grab what I have of it?"

"You mean right now?"

"Yes. It is only eight o'clock, and it would not take long to show you."

Excitement tickled me at seeing the oxygen apparatus that Sandy worked on before he left, and as he was journeying to Everest. That picture I had in my head of the contraption and Sandy standing next to it as he stands near a tent... could that be the very one he was working on?

 could that be the very one he was working on?