Chapter 23 - Sandy's Giving Her a Massive, Icy Cold Shoulder

My necklace sparkled as I stood in front of the window the next morning. My fingers fiddled with the snowflake pendant. My heart hurt. It hurt more than what I had ever experienced in my twenty years. I had never lied to a person for that prolonged period of time. I was generally an honest person... but my fears made me dishonest and made the man I love loath me.

At least he knew the truth now. As I was told, I put a bug in his ear. I didn't tell him the full story since I didn't want to anger him further.

"Well," I breathed as I stared outside at the snowy mountains in the distance, and more snow still fell in thick flakes, "I knew this would happen. I knew he would be mad. I would be, too, if I found out that the person I loved lied to me the whole time they knew me. How will I be able to face him?"

I gulped thickly and wiped a tear that fell from my left eye. The clock in the room ticked, which reminded me I needed to be out on the slopes to help Arnold teach Sandy. He would be starting preparation for his second preliminary test for the Strang-Watkins Challenge Cup.

"How am I going to do this?" I mumbled and got my large coat, boots and hat on. I held my gloves as I exited the suite. Peter was there walking by as I did so. He beamed.

"Good morning, Katie!" he said gleefully.

"At least you are happy to see me this morning."

His smiled vanished. "What? What do you mean?"

I gulped again, swallowing a lump. "I told him, Peter. Last night, I told Sandy everything, and... I think he hates me now."

Peter's blue eyes turned sad and sympathetic. "I am sure that is not the case. He was probably shocked."

"Shocked and hurt that I lied to him as long as I have known him."

Peter's sweet gaze comforted me only a little. "I am so sorry, Katie. Just give him time."

"There's not enough time. We have this trip, and then he leaves for Everest a few days after. He may go still not talking to me."

He gave me a reassuring pat on the arm. "Like I said—just give him time."

We heard a door open and close, and we saw Sandy come out in the hallway, all decked out in his winter clothing like I was. Peter was in his normal clothes. Sandy saw us, then stopped. His features turned grim. Innocent Peter greeted him first.

"Good morning, Sandy."

"I wish it was."

He walked on passed us and we watched him walk down the hallway. Peter let out a long, exasperated sigh, and I whimpered. "Well..." I swiped a tear away. "He's being cold to you, too, since I told him you were one of the people I told the truth to before him. I'm sorry."

This boy who went up to my mouth wrapped his arms around my neck. "Please, do not be sorry. I am sorry that you are in such pain. How about I go tell my father you do not want to go out there today, and he can just teach Sandy—he hasn't left for the slopes yet. I do not want you to be hurt more in being in Sandy's presence."

I whimpered again and hugged him, and I smelled the soap he used in his hair. "Thank you, Peter. You're really sweet, and a good friend. Really, you're like a little brother to me. I never had one of those."

He squeezed me tighter. "That means a lot, Katie. I am here if you ever need to talk."

"Thank you."

We undid ourselves, and Peter was off to let Arnold know that I didn't want to help out. I was already dressed, so maybe I would go to another slope, away from the practice one, where Sandy would be. Now it was my turn to avoid him, just like he avoided me after the camping trip. Only, this was far more serious.