Epilogue - Finally at Mt. Everest

Everest stood in all of her majesty before me. It took a good five years for me to save up the money to join Dad's next trip there. I stood at Base Camp as the chilly wind blew, and I stared up at the snowy mountain that I would climb in a few short days.

No less than the summit. That was my goal.

The sound of rocks crunching under foot caught my ears, and I turned to find Dad walk up to me and stare up at the mountain as well.

"She's a beauty, isn't she?"

"That she is. I can't wait to reach her summit and put a picture of my sweetheart like George Mallory did."

"George Mallory and Sandy Irvine. They both made it to the top."

"I know. I'm going to do the same."

I took a picture out of my coat pocket. My chest tightened as I gazed upon it. Dad let out a sigh.

"Katie..."

"I know, I know, but to me, my time in 1923 and '24 was real. I'm putting Sandy's picture up there because I met him, fell in love with him and got engaged to him. Where do you think I got that snowflake necklace, huh?"

"Your mom said she got it for you."

"I got it from Sandy, and it turned into an engagement present. You know this."

He held up his hands, signaling defeat. "Okay, okay, whatever you say. Just... don't go refusing any other guy just because you're still hooked on Sandy. He's long gone."

"Not too long, though."

"He died the year you were born."

"Yes, and that's because I saved his life!" I quipped, irritated. "Dad, I was there. I warned him. He didn't die on Everest because I told him about the previous timeline where he and George did die."

He gave me a weary look. We had this argument before, and I had a feeling he would never believe me. I knew I sounded crazy by talking about an alternate timeline, but that was what happened. I fainted on the SS California and woke up in my bedroom.

But it wasn't a dream. Things changed, even if people said that the story of Sandy and George dying was all a part of that dream. Honestly, there were times I wanted to believe that, but then I looked at my necklace. It was proof that I was there. The engagement ring never made it back, but the necklace did.

"Well, we should meet the rest of the group," Dad said.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a sec."

"But at least one of them you would want to meet. Remember the surprise I told you about?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, yes, I remember. I'll be there, just give me a minute."

He patted my shoulder and was off. Dad, since we started planning this trip, was telling me that there was a special person who was going to be a part of our team. He never said who.

"Well, better meet this person," I muttered, my gaze on the mountain, but I forced myself to look away and head towards our team's main tent. It was one of those large tan canvas tents that people would usually take on extended outdoor trips. I came to it and opened the material door. I saw Dad first and then the rest of our team of six.

"Katie, there you are," Dad said, and he stepped aside to reveal a tall, broad-shouldered blonde young man who looked incredibly familiar. My heart jumped when I realized it. "This is Edward Irvine, mountain climbing expert. He's going up the mountain with us."

Tears bleared my eyes as I stared at this young man who looked a couple years older than me. "How... Dad..."

"I know. Surprise."

Edward came up to me, hand out, and large smile on his face, one that was similar to a certain smile I couldn't get enough of in 1923. "Katie, it is a pleasure."

That British accent washed over me, and I took his strong, warm hand. "Yeah, it is... wow. You're an incredible likeness."

"Indeed. I have been told I am the spitting image of my great-grandfather. And speaking of which, I have something that has been passed down for generations in my family, an heirloom if you will." He rummaged in his blue coat pocket and pulled out a little bag, one of those little velvet ones that could sinch together and tie. He extended it to me as the team of six men and women watched with interest. "Please, open it."

Confused as well, I took the little black bag and undid the tie. I shook it a little, and as soon as I saw what popped out of the bag into my hand, I gasped. Loudly.

"You recognize it, do you not, Katie?" Edward asked. "That was one of my great-grandfather's most precious keepsakes. It is about one-hundred years old."

My eyes leaked tears, and my chest pinched painfully as I gazed down at the little Mt. Everest pin in my hand, a pin I once gave as a Christmas present to my beloved. With my other hand, I dug into my collar and pulled out my snowflake necklace. Edward's blue eyes went wide.

"Oh my word, you have the necklace! Remarkable!"

"Would you both care to tell us all what's going on here?" asked one of the team, a good friend of my dad's who was his age.

"You really wouldn't believe us if we told you," Edward said, and I met his gaze. "How fortunate that I am finally able to meet you."

All I could do was nod, stunned. I collapsed into a red camping chair and let out the tears and sobs. Dad quickly came over, crouched, and pulled me into a hug.

It wasn't a dream. I really saved Sandy.