Chapter 27 - Making One Last Pit Stop Before Heading Back

As was predicted, Sandy got up around 3am, woke everyone up and told them that the blizzard had stopped. No one wanted to go when it was still dark out, so Sandy, defeated, just went back to bed. We ended up hitting the snow at almost ten. The sun was high in the sky, warming the snow. It made the powder snow a bit crusty.

"It could be worse," said Fritz as we all skied down a slope and were getting close to the glacier, according to Henry and Tony. "It could be almost melted and we would be going through slush."

"Please, do not remind me of that," Sandy remarked as he skied next to me. "I had enough of wet snow in Spitsbergen. This is perfect. Honestly, I'm having a hell of a time on this trip. I cannot thank you all enough for coming out with me."

John slapped him on the shoulder. "It was our pleasure to join in a skiing trip with a man who will soon be on top of the world, quite literally so."

Sandy beamed, and I did as well. He was in his element in the mountains, among the snow and others who shared his passion. He was a born outdoorsman, and I was born an outdoorswoman. It irritated me a bit that Sandy and I were pretty perfect for each other, yet... I had to go home at some point, and Sandy knew that, too, he just hadn't said anything about it. I had just told him the whole story of what would happen to him on the Everest trip, that is, if everything went the same way. One thing at a time.

"My sentiments exactly," said Tony, responding to what John said. "I say, after you get back from Everest, come on back here and regale us all with the tale."

"Here, here!" shouted Henry, and the other men put in their agreement. Sandy looked over at me, then back at John who was skiing near him. He knew it was a possibility that he wouldn't come back.

"It would be my honor."

"It would by ours, more like," said Tony. "If you make it to the summit, you will become a celebrity among mountaineers, and people will be jealous of us for knowing you."

"Maybe once we get back, you can give me your autograph," said Mac in a chuckle.

"Yes, me, too!" John said, and the others did as well. Sandy gave me another look. I knew what it and the other one meant—he may not even come back from Everest, but... the autograph thing wasn't a bad idea.

"I want one, too," I said. "An autograph."

Sandy's eyes widened. "You want one?"

"Yes. I have every faith that you will become a celebrity from going to Everest—you already are, even—so I want an autograph."

"You have the necklace I gave you."

I thought on that a moment as I skied. "You're right."

"And you are his sweetheart," said Tony. "No need for autographs. Your relationship is enough of a special keepsake."

"Indeed," Sandy said, giving me a loving look. I giggled. I really hoped that I would be around long enough to see if Sandy indeed would return from Everest.

"Oh, to be in love..." Mac enthused. "I cannot wait until it is my turn."

"It will be," said John. "If you buck up your nerve."

"I can ski up and down high mountains—that is simple—but talking with a beautiful woman..."

I had to laugh at that, and Henry urged, "Okay, let us speed up. We will make it to the glacier soon, and from then, we have only three hours to make it to our next stop, a town called Blatte."

"If we left earlier, we could have made it there without being pressed for time," Sandy put it in.

"Regardless, it is how it is now. On we go."