Chapter 24 - The Start of 1924 and the Strang Watkins Challenge Cup

New Years back then wasn't all that different from my time, minus the Times Square Ball Drop on TV. There was still a massive party and a countdown in the final ten seconds, with everyone chanting the numbers.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one... HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

People in the large dining room that we had the Christmas dinner in rose their classes and drank. Couples kissed and friends hugged. I got a hug from Peter when the new year came. I was hoping that I would be able to kiss my sweetheart the first second of the new year, since I had never done it before, but my sweetheart was currently on the other side of the room with Tony, and he was wearing a brown suit, which he looked great in, while I had on my silver Gatsby dress. He had been avoiding me since that hallway kiss after the planning lunch.

"Happy New Year, Katie!" Peter said to me gleefully, a wide smile on his face.

"Happy New Year, Peter. Wow, I never thought that I would be spending Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year in the 1920s."

"You mean instead of the 2020s? What is it like there?"

Peter had been asking me about the future, like what cars people used, what people wore, and what people did for fun. He was blown away, plus confused, when I told him about the basic computer, TV and video games. "Well... much the same, with the countdown and everything, and people like to have a party, too. You remember what television is, right?"

"That picture box that shows films and such?"

That was how he understood them to be since film was still fairly new in this time. "Yes. Lots of people would watch what's called the Times Square Ball Drop on the television. This is an event that takes place in New York City on New Year's, and there is this massive glowing ball that drops when the new year arrives. It's like a really, really big party. Hundreds of people go."

"It sounds like so much fun! Do you think that party is going on now, or is it only a future thing?"

I thought about that for a moment. "Well... I think so. My dad once told me that it all started happening in the early 20th century, which is now. I'm not sure what year."

Peter nodded, and everyone was chatting happily around us. I spotted Sandy again and caught his glance. He looked away as soon as I did so. I let out a huff. Peter noticed.

"Please don't be down, Katie. It's the new year. Sandy is just being cold to you, which I think is very ungentlemanly of him."

"You still look up to him, though."

"Where skiing and being an outdoorsman is concerned. The way he is treating you now, not being able to accept the truth, is not admirable at all. If he was a real man and loves you, he would accept what you told him."

"It was a rather large something. Plus, he told me that it wasn't the nature of the secret that upset him, it was the fact that I lied to him the whole time we knew each other. He's just still hurt."

"Maybe so, but he is willingly not talking to you. That is just... horrendous. And mean. After today, I will tell him what a man should really be doing in this situation."

I smirked at his bravery and determination. "Thanks, Peter, but I don't want you to make things worse. We have the Cup coming up in a few days, and then right after, it's off on the ski trip. Sandy and I will be able to talk about things on that, maybe on our train rides. I know he still cares about me, it's just... he hates it when people keep things from him."

"It is all childish retaliation."

It was funny that such phrase came from him since he was nine years old. He had been around adults too much in his short life so far. "He's hurt. He needs time."