𝚋𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚍𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 / 𝚜𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚘𝚗𝚎

Sage closed her eyes, as the bell rung over her head, children cheering and screaming as they all ran out of the school

Sage closed her eyes, as the bell rung over her head, children cheering and screaming as they all ran out of the school. It was the end of the day, and Sage continued to work on the paperwork, grading the children's activities they had done earlier that day.

Her engagement ring sparkled in the sunlight that seeped through the windows, and her thumb fiddles with the band as boredom overwhelmed her. She wanted to bring her work home with her, but at home she was alone, at home her house was empty, and missing the only man she had ever loved.

She hadn't realized how much time had passed by until she finished her first set of papers and realized it was 5 o'clock, and the woman sighs, running her hands through her hair before starting on the other stack of papers. Sage was tapping her heel, impatient for her to finish as a knock came from her classroom door.

The blonde lifts her head, and smiled to see a little girl with dark curly hair and driftwood colored skin at her door. "Miss Hunter?"

Sage smiles at the 7 year old and tucked her hair behind her ear. "Hey, Lyla. What are you still doing here, sweetie?"

"Can I talk to you?" Her eyes were wide and sad, with tears in them.

Concerned, Sage sets her pen down and waves the child over to her, and pulls up a chair from a desk. "What's wrong? Is your mom not here yet?"

"She's working, I think—" said Lyla, looking embarrassed, walking over and taking a seat in the chair her teacher had pulled up. Her backpack was huge for her, about half the size of the small child. "Everyone else has already left and I don't have a ride home.. I don't know what to do."

Sage's eyes soften, and gives her a reassuring squeeze of both hands. "It'll be okay, honey. I'll check with the office and we'll call your mom, see if it's okay I take you home, yeah?"

Lyla nods and the Hunter woman stands, holding her hand out for the child. Lyla takes it, and the two exit the classroom, venturing out into the halls. Sage started up a conversation with her, chatting about what the little girl did today while in other classes. Lyla rambles on, much to Sage's pleasure, talking about how she had painted a beautiful butterfly in art class, as well as how she had learned what type of government their country had.

"You sound like you had a lovely day!" Sage smiles, glancing down at the girl as they rounded the corner, and a terrible scream came from the overhead speakers sounded loudly. Sage gasps at the screeching noise, and Lyla whimpers, clinging to her teacher tightly.

"Miss Hunter..? What was that?" She cried, looking up at the woman whose breath was caught in her throat.

"I-I don't know, sweetie." Sage said after a moment, picking up the child and throwing her on her hip. Sage gripped the small girl tightly, taking a tentative step forward to peek into the glass office window. She watched in horror as blood splatters across the glass, and watched a human-type creature tear into the principal's throat. Gasping, Sage backs away until she was a safe enough distance to turn around so Lyla wouldn't see the horrific scene. "Oh my God! Oh my God!"