Part Six

-aria

He really doesn't deserve this.

His smile is sweet, innocent, even the sternest of people could smile once they'd seen it. Out of all the people to be thrown in this situation, why him.

My heart aches, watching him walk back to the room with all my flooding thoughts telling me I need to fix his situation.

The day as usual goes slow, the clock now tells me 3:45. Not too long left yet I still feel like I have years to go.

"Afternoon sir what can I get you?"

After about half an hour of absolutely no one in the shop, I was considering closing early yet this guy turned up at just the right time. The silence had brought Tae back under the counter, we'd been talking for the majority of the time.

My breath was a bit faster as I became very aware of him sat beneath me, silent as ever.

"Could I get a tea please, dark with no sugar. And a lemon pastry with that thanks," He asked.

His voice was deep, and echoed throughout his entire body. Seemed as if he smoked, and had a big black coat covering his built figure.

I turned around to the coffee machine, and was stopped. Tae, stood up, was looking the man dead in the eyes.

"Ben?" He asked, face pale. My jaw was practically on the floor. Had this idiot just sold us out? Does my safety mean nothing to him after everything i've done?

"Tae, gosh is that you?? I thought you'd be long gone by now," The man seemed just as shocked as me, leaning slightly over the counter- closer to tae.

"Ben, tell me everything. Please tell me that you know it's not me, I would never do anything like-"

"I know, I know. I knew it wasn't you from the start, I've been worried sick, But I had no idea where you'd end up. Honestly I was waiting for your knock at my door," He said. Tae sighed in relief.

"I did think about it. But I didn't want to drag you into any of this," He paused and looked at me, "I didn't want to drag anyone into this mess,"

"Who's this then, secret girlfriend?" He asked, I laughed.

"What on earth is all of this? Who the hell are you?" I ask, none of my questions answered in that little reunion. I look at Taehyung who was still stood up like he was any other guy.

"Get down," I said, him immediately ducking as he realises.

"I'm shutting the shop. And you are both telling me everything," I say.

"Only if you two do as well," He asks.

I glare back.

"How can I know to trust you?"

That's when Tae tapped my leg from under the counter.

"Aria, Ben is a family friend of mine. I've known him for years," He told me. I sighed but didn't reply, walking towards the door to flick the sign.

- taehyung

"For starters, I'm not gonna go call the police on you two. There isn't any logic behind that idea at all," Ben exclaimed.

"My family. Have you heard from them? Are they okay," I asked, dreading all the different things that could've happened to them.

"They're fine. A few questionings here and there but the police are more set on locating you first,"

"Do they think that I-"

"They're very overwhelmed, Tae. They don't know what to believe,"

My heart sank. My own family could be against me, my whole world felt even more destroyed. I didn't think it could get much worse.

I looked up at Aria. Her eyes were watering, mimicking mine. She cared. I felt relieved, I had people on my side.

"Ben, please take care of them," I whispered.

We were in the back room now, Aria sat on the table while I was on the sofa. Ben was standing, towering over us both, dressed in black like some sort of body guard. Or grim reaper. His face though, was familiar and relieving. I'd missed that feeling.

"I will," He replied, "You're safe though, this would be the last place anyone would look," He put his hands into his black puffer coat pockets, swinging softly from side to side.

"I mean, I didn't even spot you when you were under the counter," He laughed. I smiled.

"Thanks, I'm hoping I can figure some way out of this and get my life back," I sighed.

"Are there any other suspects? Like anybody linked to the case?" Aria said, flicking back her long brown hair.

"Not many but there have been a couple names mentioned, remember Joshua? He used to go to your high school,"

"The quiet one? With the glasses?" I ask, perplexed.

He was one of the sweetest guys at school, to me at least. He was a prime target for bullies yet he still managed to look content. But how would I know.

"Yep. Pictures of him now though have changed drastically, barely looks like the same guy,"

I tried to think. Why would he murder Lucas? They barely spoke, our friend groups never really interacted. It was just me, Lucas and Leo.

Leo, gosh. I wonder how he's coping.

"Listen, I am happy to help you Tae. I'm honestly so glad you're okay, but I really need to be heading home I'm already late," He said, bringing his hands out of his pockets and turning around.

"Thank you, Ben. It's been a while, I wish we could've met in better circumstances," I said.

"Don't you dare turn us in," Aria stated, jumping down from the table, "Please,"

"Like I said, there's no logic behind it. Why would I want to put anyone in danger when I know they're innocent," He replied, detaching from her glare. She closed her eyes and silently scoffed.

That night, Aria stayed in late. We sat in the back room for hours. Just, talking.