Part Seven

TW: Graphic description of murder/death. Please skip this chapter if you feel it will make you uncomfortable.

-

"I still miss you so much, I even miss tidying up your mess,"

I laugh, mum had been making these types of comments ever since I'd moved in. It's been about a week and I haven't heard the end of it.

"I miss you too, but I'm sure that's a lie," I reply.

"Well, It is a lot cleaner around here. Me and your dad can actually see the floor for once,"

"Oh please It wasn't that bad,"

She laughed, "I'm barely exaggerating,"

I really did miss them, but this was a new chapter in my life. New apartment, new job. I was cooking for myself and cleaning, freedom tasted sweet. My phone rang again. It was Leo.

"Dude, it's better than great. You and Lucas need to come over asap, we can have a mini party amongst all the unpacked boxes," He laughed from the other line.

"We should, I'm going over to Lucas' place tonight you should come! To celebrate," I smiled to myself.

"Yess I'd love to I'll message him now. How's everything?"

"Not bad, college really piles work onto you but i'm getting through it, tonight will be a good break to be honest," He sighed.

"Well you can have another one soon by visiting me, I'll leave you to it though-  I'm here if you ever need any help,"

"Thanks man, beware I will probably take you up on that offer," He laughed

"I'll be there,"

Nothing seemed wrong in my life. The boxes scattered around my apartment was the only real issue I had to deal with. Once I had the thumbs up from Lucas, the day went by smoothly. With something to look forward to, I did my tasks more efficiently.

I decided to take a walk to town to find something to bring for later on. The sun was setting gently, the sky was beaming with oranges and pinks as I strolled contently- soaking up the freedom I'd gained.

-new message-

- Bring some booze?? Ty dude see u soonn

Lucas texted, bringing me back to reality. Perfect timing. Grabbing the nearest six pack of beer I could, I started walking to his place. The sun was setting faster, the sky turning a deep blue. The smile embedded on my face had remained with me the whole week, it would take a lot for it to go away.

It was enough. Way more than enough.

His eyes shot through me like daggers, wide and struck senselessly with fear. His breath moved slowly, up and down, up and down...

"Lucas," I breathed.

I could see how quickly that allowed the tears to fall to his cheeks. My heart thumped loudly, like a ticking clock everyone in the room could hear. I was only stood in the doorway. I don't know who else was in the room.

"Im so sorry," he cried, falling to his knees. The shots were loud, and blasted through him effortlessly. It still echoes throughout my mind, as well as the feeling in my heart with each shot fired. As if each one struck mine too.

His body, lifeless, fell backwards onto the floor. He was still looking at me. The red seeped through the soft carpet, slowly taking over the once cream colours. I heard aggressive whispers.

They must've known I was still there. Staring. Breathing, in and out. The gun was thrown onto the floor, someone behind me grabbed my shoulders. Shoved forward, I fell beside him.

Everything I had of him. Every memory came back to me. The text was only 20 minutes ago. He told me he was sorry, maybe it was my fault the person shot. His laugh I know so well was loud in my mind, I was like a spring being held tightly down- ready to burst. I wanted him to get up, tell me it was okay. Laugh again.

"Leave him, it'll fix the problem of hiding the evidence. Just go they will think its him,"

Amongst the sharp ringing in my ears, I manage to make out those words. But by the time I turn around, gone. The ringing was quieter, but not enough. I didn't hear the sirens in time. My thoughts we loud yet muffled, I couldn't hear a thing normally or within my thoughts.

They were aggressive, holding my wrists firmly like I was an rabid animal, lugging me down the stairs. It wasn't until I saw that same familiar blue sky when I snapped back to my senses.

I can't remember it all. I can picture the two policemen that were holding onto me, thrown viciously onto the floor. I remember running, fast. Faster than I ever had before. This sudden adrenaline has just spared me, by mere seconds.

I remember the shock on their faces, my sudden behaviour out of no where. I was, rabid. I don't even know how I got away, I went far though. Everything around me was unfamiliar. By a mere opening of a door my entire life had gone.