Part Twelve

"I've been looking into it," He told me, the time now saying 11:12. We were sat on the sofa in his large living room, telling each other what we knew.

"Lucas was a pretty normal guy, stable friends, family and job. I don't know too much, but I have reason to believe that he got caught up with a dangerous group of people," He said, brushing back his wavy brown hair, looking at me with his matching brown eyes.

"Dangerous group of people? Like who?" I asked.

"Like Micheal and Jonas, they were a year above you in school,"

I knew them, Mike had only been released from a months sentence a few weeks before the incident. Him being in the picture was totally likely.

"Why would Lucas be hanging around with those guys," I said, swirling the ice in my cold water.

"Thing is, I usually see them all messing about round the corner shop a few streets down. Since the murder, I haven't seen any of them at all," He said, further explaining his theory.

"But like you say, I didn't know Lucas well at all, that's down to you," He gestured at me.

"I didn't notice major changes, but he did suddenly become busy most evenings. Which I guess is why I jumped to the opportunity of seeing him that night, it'd been a while," I sighed, the lack of knowledge eating away at me. I couldn't stand it, any of it.

"Does Aria know anything?" He asked, my lips curving slightly at the mention of her name. I missed her, I always did when she left.

"Oh, I see," He laughed.

"What?" I asked, acting oblivious.

"What is going on between you two," He hit my arm, raising his eyebrows. I couldn't help but grin.

"I don't even know yet dude, we kissed the other night but-"

"Oh my gosh Tae really," He laughed, "She's your girlfriend that's what,"

"We haven't brought it up since then though, we haven't said anything at all," I complained, wondering what that kiss meant. I know we care for each other a lot, and I want to give her the world, but everything is just so confusing.

"How did it happen?" He looked at me with such curiosity it made me laugh.

"You're invested in this aren't you," I laughed again.

"Come on man you know I'm a sucker for romances,"

That made me laugh even more, he was a built guy that had tattoos and dark hair yet he was such a softie on the inside.

"I was going to leave," I began, "I figured her life was in danger as long as I was still at the cafe, and told her it was over and how thankful I was,"

"Yeaahh" He persisted.

"She told me that she hadn't been this happy in years, and well then I guess it just happened," I laughed awkwardly, not expecting this conversation at all.

"You're skipping all the juicy details dude," He whined.

"Never say juicy details again, but I'm telling you that's basically it,"

"Basically,"

My eyes roll and he laughs.

"It was so genuine, and I loved every second of it," I smile again to myself marvelling in the memory.

"You love her," He stated, looking to the ceiling confidently.

"Well, it's only been a few weeks and-"

He laughed.

"It's obvious, but we're getting off track. But we can't talk all night dude, I gotta wake up early tomorrow," He sighed, putting down his drink.

"How come?" I asked.

"I've got a date dude, I can't wait," He smiled.

"Oh wow, awesome man I hope it goes well," I smile.

"You'll be back right?" He asks.

"Right," I nod.

After exchanging numbers, I left the apartment complex. It was late, coming 1am. It reminded me of that night. The night.

I even passed that same alley way, the very one I'd hidden in, ears still ringing and chest still panting from my long run. I don't remember it much, but seeing it there ran a chilling feeling down my spine. That alley way made me realise my life would never be the same.

I made it back, closing the door and letting out a deep sigh. Apart of me was in utter disbelief I left, the other was guilt- but the majority was relief. It made me feel human again, with a sense of freedom.

I didn't know whether I'd tell Aria, I'm not sure if she would understand. I need to know what we are first, I think that's the main thing on my mind at the moment. I know it shouldn't be.

With new possible suspects, and a happy normal memory in my mind, I found it easier that night to drift off to sleep.