Chapter 6 | Brooklyn

I can't wait for this one.

Okay, yeah, you all are going to judge a lot of my decisions, but hey, they're the reason why I can't wait to write this chapter.

Enjoy! :)

----------------------------------------

After introducing Jack and Les to Denton, becoming better acquainted, Jack, David, and Boots head to Brooklyn.

David can honestly say that he's never been across the Brooklyn Bridge before.

"What is the big deal about Brooklyn?" David asks curiously, the newsies' reaction to hearing the name still fresh in his mind.

"Brooklyn is the toughest borough there is," Jack answers. "And there are a lot of newsies. If you got Brooklyn on your side, you can do anything."

"Oh-oh-oh! Watch this!" Jack dashes to the side of the Bridge, along with Boots. They holler over the edge.

"OHH-OHHHHHHHHHHHH!" they shout.

David chuckles at them.

"You gotta try that some day, Davey!" Jack exclaims, huge smile on his face.

"Maybe I will," David says with a smile.

They continue walking.

There's still one thing that David can't exactly shake. "So is this Spot Conlon really dangerous?"

All he gets in reply is a little laugh from Jack and Boots.

Totally reassuring.

They head down to the Brooklyn docks, and wow are these newsies huge.

David can now see where their repuation comes from.

He wonders when Jack will stop walking. He obviously knows where he's going.

"Well if it ain't Jack be nimble, Jack be quick."

Up there.

David looks up, to see a small boy perched on what must be considered to be a throne.

"See you've moved up in the world, Spot," Jack calls up to him. Was that a flint of flirting in Jack's voice? 

Spot just rolls his eyes goodnaturedly.

David stops. That is Spot Conlon? The one everyone is so scared of? This small boy?

The boy jumps down. David can honestly say that this is the smallest Brooklyn newsie he's seen so far.

Then, Jack spits into his hand. Spot does the same. They shake. Jack puts an arm around him briefly. It sort of resembles what Jack did to David earlier.

"Hi, Spot!" Boots pipes up. He has a few marbles in his hand. "I got some real nice shooties for ya."

"Oh yeah." Spot takes them with a smile. "Thanks, Boots."

Then David notices the way Jack and Spot are looking at each other. The playfulness in Jack's eyes. The way that Spot looks at Jack, eyes fond and soft, and cold and hard, all at the same time. It's the way David looks at Jack now. 

It's the expression of someone who was loved and wronged by Jack.

"Wait, were you two toge-?" David begins to ask before he can stop himself.

Spot waves a hand dismissively. "Ancient history."

"Yeah, I suppose two years is a long time for you," Jack returns. "Before you rose up in ranks."