Chapter 17 | And Now We Make Things Right

Sarah: *nudges Jack and David together forecfully* Aww, look at you two together! Now get along you idiot lovers!

Anyways that's kinda how this chapter will start haha.

Will this be 1000 words? 1500? 2000? ... 2000+?

Guess we'll find out haha.

Enjoy! :)

--------------------------

"I remember the day we met quite vividly."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. I remember goin' about selling papes, and seein' a really cute boy walk out of the school house. He stumbled a little. It was cute-"

"Was that really all I was to you? A cute boy?"

"You were a cute boy who made me think to myself, 'I just gotta know him,'" Jack tells him. "I just knew I had to talk to you."

"And then I dropped a pencil as I stumbled."

"And I thought that the universe was on my side, because that bought me the perfect excuse to find a way to talk to you."

"None of this would have happened if it weren't for that, wouldn't it."

"I don't think so."

David pauses. "Did it really lead up to everything?"

"Well, I came back, didn't I? I came back every day because I knew that you were the one that I wanted to get to know better."

"And I absolutely hated you for it."

Jack chuckles. "Yeah, I definitely remember that." He adds, "But things got better."

"Oh yes," David agrees. "We talked. And started meeting at sunset, staying out in the dark after the stars came out."

"Seeing the sun set became the favorite part of my day, knowing that it meant I would get another opportunity to spend time with you again."

"You two are the most hopeless romantics I've ever met," Sarah declares.

Jack and David jump a little, startled. As they've been walking, they nearly forgot that Les and Sarah were following behind them. So now the truth is getting out in the air. A truth that apparently now everyone is going to know. 

Well, it's probably better than repressing it forever anyway.

"Those were my happiest times," David says. "Even after everything that happened ... I still think of those moments fondly."

"Yeah, we had a pretty great time, didn't we?"

"And then there was the night you walked straight into a streetlight."

Jack chuckles as Les giggles at that.

"Would you have kissed me if you didn't walk into the streetlight?" David asks after a moment.

His face flushes. He can practically feel Sarah's eyebrows raising behind him.

Jack thinks about it. "That night when I was finally brave enough to kiss you ... I had been waiting to do that for a long, long time."

So now David has one of many questions answered. He lets this answer resonate. He remembers that night well. He knows that no matter what, he never will be able to forget his first kiss.

"So what happened?" David murmurs. "We were so happy. Why did it all go so wrong?"

Jack sighs. "I don't know. I truly don't know." He thinks on it. This is the part that he's tried blocking from his memory. But talking about it is bringing it all back to him. "I remember it was the end of your school year, and we were so excited, because we could spend more time together." He swallows. He remembers now. "But you said it was dangerous. That we shouldn't see each other as much."