Chapter 19 | We Got Voices Now

Oooooh CLIMACTIC MOMENT

Also very Javid :)

Enjoy! :)

-------------------------------

Everyone around them in the building is in a hurry, frantic. Jack grins smugly. They may not have stopped The World, yet, but they did unravel it.

And now the moment they've been waiting for.

Entering Pulitzer's office.

Pulitzer is turned away from them, smoking, not saying a word.

"Extra, extra, Joe," Jack says, a hint of taunting in his tone. "Read all about it." He saved one extra paper to say just this. He drops it on the desk and leans down.

"Now, I gave you a chance to be free, boy," Pulitzer states at last. He turns around. "I'm confused. Anyone who doesn't act in his own self interest is a fool."

"Then what does that make you?"

Both Jack and Pulitzer swivel around to look at David, eyes wide.

David's eyes are wide too, like he can't believe that he just said that.

A small smile starts growing on Jack's face.

"What?" Pulitzer spits out.

David swallows. He has to say more now, and not just a random outburst. So he goes on. "Every day you're losing thousands of dollars. Your circulation is down by 70%. And all of this, just to beat us out of one lousy tenth of a cent." He takes a step forward. "Why?"

Jack's grin grows even more. That's the boy he fell for.

Jack stands up. "I think I forgot to introduce you two." He slings an arm around David. "This is my pal, Davey." He and David look at each other, Jack looking fondly into David's eyes. "The Walkin' Mouth."

David grins too.

They face Pulitzer again.

"Oh yeah, Davey, this is Pulitzer," Jack says flatly. "You know. The guy who's been ruinin' our life for a week. Well. He's been doin' it much longer than that, but this week is just worse."

Pulitzer glares at them. They stand tall. Jack is aware that he's taunting a tyrant, in every sense of the word. Jack can taunt him all he wants, but he still needs to be careful.

"I called for the police just moments before," Pulitzer tells him icily. "They should be here by now."

Jack swallows. "I ain't goin' back to jail, Joe," he tells him, trying to keep the slight tremble out of his voice. "Never. You hear?" He heads to the window. "And I ain't alone in this." He opens the window. "Come see for yourself."

Pulitzer stands up. "Wait-"

Jack opens the windows. Big, expensive ones. Ones that open and you can see the whole world outside.

When they see the whole world outside, they see the square crowded with people, people from all over the city, chanting: "STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE!"

Jack smiles, proud of what they started.

Pulitzer looks like he's going to have a heart attack.

"Go home!" he shouts at all the people down below, to no avail. "Go home! Go home! Go-"

"That ain't gonna happen, Joe!" Jack yells over all the noise. "They got voices now. They'se gonna be listened to."

"Shut the window and shut up!" Pulitzer shouts at Jack.