Chapter 12 | Stand Tall In Court

I always get a lot of mixed feelings about the court scene because on one hand, things are still going downhill and I'm still mad at the end of the Irving Hall scene at that point and the newsies are still being treated unfairly; but on the other hand it amuses me how the newsies humorously handle the situation and the way that Spot and Race are in this scene.

I would elaborate on that last bit but you'll see it in a moment haha. Well, actually, I exaggerate what happens, but most of this is coming straight from the movie.

Actually, no. Very little comes straight from that movie haha.

Sometimes actually I think I'm actually funny.

Enjoy! :)

----------------------------

"All rise for Judge E. A. Monaham. Court is now in session."

Not that any newsie was sitting anyway. 

Not that they would be treated to sitting anyway.

Still, Race and Spot--standing as close to each other as they dare--and all the newsies behind them have to put on brave faces. None of them want to be here, but they can't change their situation.

"Are any of you represented by council?" the judge asks, already looking down at them disdainfully.

He's met with no comments.

Everyone turns amongst themselves, trying to find anyone that fits the description. "Council? What's a council?" is whispered somewhere in the back. Whether or not that person was joking, they'll never know.

"I suspected as much," the judge continues. "Alright then. We'll move forward with the charges."

"You're honor, I object," Spot speaks out.

The judge raises his eyebrows. "On what grounds?"

Spot pauses for a moment.

Race's eyes widen beside him, waiting for him to respond. He looks up at Spot from an overly slouched position. No one can blame him. His black eyes and his messy hair say it all: tonight's been rough. Still, from where he is, he looks at Spot, who has hair in his face, his cap no where in sight, his lips pursed, and his eyes determined.

"On the grounds of Brooklyn, your honor," Spot answers, shoulders squared.

And to the newsies, that was the funniest thing that's happened in awhile. Everyone bursts out laughing.

Race doubles over laughing, bending down behind Spot. He looks at Blink and Mush and Boots behind them, conveying the message of What is going on right now? They're going through a lot right now. Just about anything will push them over the edge. At least in this situation over the edge means into laughter. 

The judge, however, does not appreciate their humor. He talks over their laughter. "I fine each of you five dollars, or two weeks confinement in the House of Refuge."

That gets everyone outraged. There is a lot of incredulous murmurs of utter disbelief. This is exactly why they're striking. They're treated like they have no rights at all, like they have no say in any matter, and they can't do anything about it.

Still, they need to work with what they got.

"Five dollars?" Race chokes out. "Woah, woah, woah." He may be in temporary shock, but that's not going to stop Witty Racetrack from having his own moment. "We don't got five bucks. We don't even got five cents."