Chapter 4 | A Healthy Relationship

The great thing about not having an intro page and/or prologue is that I don't have to do any math for what number the chapter is. It's just look at what part it is and that's the chapter number haha.

Okay, so I'm not entirely sure this will reach 1000 words, but considering how much I ramble and overwrite, I don't know haha.

(It definitely reached 1000 words haha)

So. Trying to conceal gay panic in front of parents while the crush is right there.

Couldn't be me projecting. Nope.

Anyway.

Enjoy! :)

----------------------------------

David opens the door to his apartment, Jack right beside him.

His mother is right there. "What took you so long?" she chastises him.

"A little trouble outside, Ma, nothing much," David answers.

That's when she sees Les. "Good heavens, what happened?!"

She takes Les from Jack.

"Nothing, Ma, he's just sleeping," David assures her. Now comes for the part where he introduces Jack to his mother, and to his father, standing not too far away. "Jack, these are my parents." He waits for his mother to greet Jack warmly, and for his father to shake Jack's hand, before saying, "and this is Jack Kelly. Our new selling partner."

"Nice to meet you," Jack says politely.

At least he has good manners, David thinks, relieved.

As his parents go to prepare more food for their unexpected guest, David remembers there's someone else in the house. "Oh right. Jack, this is my sister Sarah."

She looks up from her embroidary and smiles warmly at them. Jack's gaze lingers on her a little longer than David would have liked.

No. Jack is not going after his sister. David won't let Jack break her heart too.

But along with his protectiveness for his sister ... he's also feeling ... jealousy? Is he truly jealous that Jack is paying attention to Sarah?

No I'm not. I'm not jealous.

He files that thought away. It's not going to do him any good right now.

When the dinner is on the table, Jack puts the money they made on the table.

"You made all of this selling newspapers?" David's father asks, incredulous, impressed.

"Your boys are natural born sellers," Jack answers. His eyes flash at David. David looks away, not wanting it to go to his head. Jack continues. "At this rate, we might be able to peddle a thousand papes a week."

"That many?" His father asks Jack.

Jack nods. "More, if the headline is good."

"What makes the headline good?" Sarah asks curiously.

"Oh, you know, something big," Jack says. "Like a war, or a corpse, or..." he begins listing more things, most of them gruesome and not good table conversation. He continues on, oblivious to how David's parents are both looking away, while that's all David can think about.

David is pretty sure his face is as red as a tomato, if not redder. Kill me now.

This was the reason why he never let Jack meet his parents. He's paying dearly for his decision. Never again will I make this mistake.