Chapter 15 | The Year We Fell In Love

Aaaaaaa this is it!

This is the first time I've used a photo as a header so now I'm kinda proud of myself even though I plan on never doing it again haha.

This image is a behind the scenes Newsies image, and it fits with this chapter.

And now we finally learn their back story.

Now we travel back into spring of 1897, when David first met Jack.

Can we just appreciate that Chapter 15 is about when they were 15?

Also I'm relying on what I'm pretty sure is a fact that all ages would be taught in one school house.

Also I'm listening to so many meet-cute and in-love songs while writing this and it just makes me want to explode with happy emotions.

I mean ... until the inevitable split, because we all know their relationship ends badly, but until then, it's going to be as fluffy as I can make it.

If this doesn't become my longest chapter I will riot.

(This is the longest chapter. No doubt there.)

So what did happen that spring?

Now we'll finally find out.

Enjoy! :)

-----------------------------------

At last, the school day ends, and all the students walk out, ready to make the journey home. David makes sure that he has everything, that Les has everything, as he, Sarah, and Les walk out together.

It's a beautful day that practically sings cheerfully, It's spring! The sun is out, the sky is blue without a single cloud of white, and there's a gentle breeze. It's perfect weather. The birds are chirping. It feels nice.

David stumbles a little. Must have just lost his balance or something simple like that. He doesn't want to think much too about it, hoping that no one saw.

Before he walks much further, someone behind him says, "You dropped something."

"Oh-" David turns around, and sees a boy holding his pencil.  

This boy is his age, with a red bandana around his neck, with a smile on his face, eyes free without a care in the world.

...A boy who didn't just come from the school house.

A boy he's never seen before.

A boy holding ... newspapers?

"Thank you." David takes the pencil back from the boy, trying not to react when their hands brush. "Good day." He wants to catch up to Sarah and Les, who kept on walking without him, as soon as he could.

"Hey," the boy says. "Would ya like to buy a pape?"

What more does this boy want with David? David turns around. "No, thank you," he says as politely as he can.

The boy just shrugs and smiles. "Worth a shot, I guess. Guess I just wanted the excuse to talk to such a cute boy like you."

David blushes profusely. His heart starts beating rapidly. He hopes no one heard that. If someone did, he knows for sure that would be the end of him. And probably this boy, too.

"I-I..." David stammers. Then he straightens his posture and recomposes himself. "I don't know what your problem is, but I would like it if you stopped talking to me."