Chapter 10 | King Of New York

Aaaaa I'm so excited!!

I'm having Javid, Blush, and Sprace--no particular order--here and I'm excited for it :)

Enjoy! :)

------------------------------

The doorbell to Tibby's rings as Denton pushes through the door, smiling, a copy of the latest edition of The Sun in hand.

Everyone gets excited when they see him enter. Everyone is smiling.

He sets the paper down on the table. They all crowd around.

They stare at it in wonder and amazement.

Because that's them in the paper. That's them under the bolded headline: 
CHILDRENS' CRUSADE
NEWSIES STOP THE WORLD

They did this.

They're showing the World all that they can do, and what they will keep doing.

This is so, so wonderful.

"You got us on the front page!" David exclaims to Denton, away from the crowded table.

"You got yourselves on the front page," Denton responds. "I just need to make sure you stay there."

Everyone at the table is talking at once.

"Where's me picture? Where's me picture?" Spot demands.

"All them words there are written 'bout us?" Boots asks incredulously.

Mush points at Jack's face in the picture. "Look, it's Jack lookin' like a general!"

"Wouldya get your fingers off my face?" Jack brushes Mush's fingers away.

"Where does it say my name?" Spot demands, hovering over Jack's shoulder.

Jack turns around in his chair. "Quit thinkin' 'bout yourself, will ya?" He shakes his head and turns back to the table and the paper.

"Nah, that's all he knows how to do," Race jokes with a smirk.

Spot turns to glare at him. Race returns his glare with a smirk.

"You get your picture in the papes, so what?" Skittery asks pessimistically. "Where does that get ya?"

Race can't believe what he's hearing.

Nor can anyone else.

"What are you talkin' about?" Mush asks reproachfully.

"Come on, you've been in a bad mood all day!" Jack complains over the rising clamour.

"I'm not in a bad mood," Skittery replies.

"Yeah, you kinda are," Tumbler supplies from behind him. Skittery just scoffs at him goodnaturedly and ruffles his hair.

"You're glum and dumb," Race tells Skittery. He lightly slaps his face. "What's the matter with you? You're in the papes, you're famous. And when you're famous, you get anything you want." He slaps his hand on the table. "That's what's so great about New York!"

Several others are agreeing with him.

Oh, what would it be like to just get whatever they wanted?

Oh, what it is to dream.

"A pair of new shoes with matchin' laces," Mush says.

"A permanent box at Sheepshead Races," Race fantasizes, closing his eyes for a moment to picture it. He never was one for small dreams. And a box at Sheepshead? All he could ever want.