Chapter 9 | On Our Way To More

Oooooh there's gonna be gayyyy

There's also the fun game of "Hm, how am I going to get this up to 1000 words? What will it actually end up as?" haha. We'll just have to see how this goes.

But things are going their way, so there is that.

Enjoy! :)

-----------------------------

Open the gates and seize the day,

Don't be afraid and don't delay.

Nothing can break us,

No one can make us,

Give our rights away.

All rise and seize the day.

They feel ready to take on anything. Yesterday was a mix of good and bad. True, the newsies had won that battle, but they still lost Crutchy in the process. They'll get him back, though. And they won't lose anyone else.

They can do this.

Determination fills everyone's eyes. Yesterday, they showed Pulitzer and Hearst and everyone else that they're a force to be reckoned with. And that they'll come back stronger than before each time.

At the circulation center, however, there's a sight that none of them wanted to see: a bunch of people with newspapers in their hands.

Scabbers.

Or, people hired by the World to replace the striking newsies.

Right now, it doesn't matter which they are, because they've arrived at the same conclusion: holding the boycotted papers in their hands.

Anyone can visibly see the tension.

For what feels like an eternity, no one moves a muscle.

"Alright everyone," David calls out, trying to keep panic out of his voice. "Remain! Calm!"

Still, silence.

Until Jack shouts the first battle cry. "Let's soak 'em for Crutchy!"

It's good enough for the newsies.

They rush on forwards, running and shouting, ready for a good fight. 

No! David stays where he is. Or at least he tries to: he's hit by a bunch of newsies swarming around him running towards the circulation center.

Really, Jack? Out of all the ways that Jack could have changed but didn't, why did it have to be how he always wants to fight?

Does no one listen to me?

David doesn't have time alone with his thoughts though, nor time to just simmer with resentment; there's too much action happening around him for that. 

There are people everywhere.

It's really hard to tell just what exactly is happening, because in the time it takes to register what's going on, something else happens instead. It's chaos, that's for sure. And this is different than yesterday, with more people here. The newsies still hold their own, though.

Nearly all the scabbers run away, precious papers behind, causing the newsies to cheer.

They stop immediately when the gates open and the police come out.

"Oh, Jack!" Race shouts, in the front of the crowd. "Jack, Jack, it's the crib!" Like they don't all know that. "Scram!" He's the first one to take off running.