Chapter 7 | Seize The Day

Ooh yay another iconic line as a title! :)

You all know what this one means! :)

Also featuring a very heartfelt Jack & Race moment that I didn't intend on writing but am glad I did.

Enjoy! :)

-------------------------

"So where's Spot?" Race asks immediately when Jack, David, and Boots come back from Brooklyn. He tries to play it off like he's only interested in Spot for strike reasons, but there's desperation in his voice that goes beyond casual interest.

"He's not coming," Jack responds, hating being the bearer of bad news. "Said he didn't know if we had what it takes to win."

Everyone around them is disappointed. They got their hopes up so high. Too high, it appears.

Race reacts the most. He shuffles his feet, his tongue flicks out-in, he lights a cigar. His expression is a combination of annoyed and oh, come on. And the palpable sign of trying to put on a brave face.

Jack puts a hand on Race's shoulder. "Sorry, buddy."

"'S fine," Race mutters. He straightens out his slouched posture. "Don't know what we were expecting from 'im."

Jack's expression softens. "Race-"

Race shakes his head. "Don't wanna talk about it."

David watches Jack as he and Race have a moment. 

"I think you guys are better together than a part," Jack tries telling Race.

"Why do you care so much 'bout it?"

"Funny, Spot asked the same thing," Jack says with a smile, that contagious smile that gets other people smiling.

Clearly, it doesn't work on Race when he's in a bad mood. "And what did you tell him?"

"I said that I want you both to be happy, and that I care about both of you," Jack says. "Although I may care more about you and how happy you are."

That gets Race to smile up at Jack. "Really?"

"Really. I know we ain't related by blood, but we're brothers nonetheless."

That gets Race to smile. "Yeah, we are." And then a smirk tugs at his lip. "He was your partner at one point, though."

"Ah, come on, man," Jack shoves Race's shoulder playfully. "That was awhile ago. It's over. I'm over him, he's over me. Truly."

Race's expression darkens. "You think he'll get over me too?"

"Oh, Race." Jack puts his arm around Race. "I don't think he ever would. He'd miss you too bad."

Race continues saying nothing, not believing it.

"And guess what?" Jack continues. "I know you two can recover from your most recent fight. You guys have had disagreements in the past, yeah? And yet you guys come back. Wanna know how I know you guys will turn out just fine? Because you two just work. Trust me, it won't be too long, now, I guarantee, when you two are going to be back together again."

Hope flickers in Race's eyes. "You think so?"

"I know so," Jack grins.

Jack's just so ... caring.

It's a side of Jack that David will never get tired of seeing, will never get enough of.

That's when David realizes he's probably been staring for too long, and that he is the only one watching them, so he looks away, trying to find some other point of focus.