Chapter Ten

Gracee's POV

"What the-" Ned stares at us with his eyes wide.

"Ned-" Peter starts.

"Oh my-" Ned's mouth hangs open.

"Ned, it's not-" I stand up.

He walks backward and closes the door. I look at Peter in shock, before I notice navy blue contrasting against the drab white comforter. I move the comforter back the way it was before Peter had pulled it all the way down, revealing his shirt. I hold it up and glare at him.

"Oh... that's where it was." Peter laughs awkwardly. "I didn't see it there."

I playfully throw it at him and he catches it and puts it on. I go to the mirror to tame my hair, but I end up watching Peter through the mirror instead. His fingers carefully button his shirt and his head turned down, causing a curl to fall in his face. He catches me staring and I hold the stare.

"Hey losers." MJ bursts into the room. "Why does Ned look traumatized?"

"He thought he walked in on something that wasn't happening." I turn around and face MJ.

"I should go talk to him." Peter walks to me and kisses my forehead, holding the kiss and closing his eyes for a moment.

He walks out of the room and I turn back to MJ, who is eyeing the bed skeptically. "Nothing happened."

"Nothing happened?" MJ asks suspiciously.

"Well, we kissed and stuff but the bed just looks like that because he lost his shirt."

"And "just kissing" involves Peter being shirtless?"

"Sometimes." I blush and look at the ground.

"Do you think you'll be okay tonight?"

"Yeah, of course. I'll be fine."

"I'm only asking because... you haven't slept without Peter in months." MJ softens her voice. "You're pretty codependent on him."

"I am not."

"You are. That's not a bad thing though. It's understandable after everything you two have been through together."

"I can sleep without him for one night. I have you. I'll be fine."

I walk to the bathroom, lock the door, and turn on the shower. I step into the shower in my clothes and sit on the floor, hugging myself.

I don't like that I am so dependent on Peter. I was always an independent person before everything that happened happened.

People are always there to remind me of the thing that happened, even when they aren't trying. I can always tell when people feel bad for me. The glances that last too long, the pitying look, the cautious stare. It's as if they think I might burst into tears at any given moment.

I wish people could understand that the reason I don't trust myself is because no one trusts me. There is always that constant reminder that everyone thinks I should be treated like I am fragile, like I am always at risk of breaking.

If I had done something differently, they wouldn't be dead.

"Shut up." I whisper to myself.

It's my fault.

"Shut up." I cradle my head in my hands and close my eyes.