Chapter Eleven

Mr. Fury waits for me outside while I "change into my suit." I'm really going to Gracee's room to tell her goodnight, and I think he might know that. He's Nick Fury, nothing gets past him. But despite that, he doesn't object.

When I'm outside of her and MJ's room I knock on the door. A few seconds later it opens and MJ steps outside quietly. I try to read her eyes to see how Gracee is, but she just looks exhausted.

"Is she..."

"She's okay." MJ says. "I made sure she got a shower and brushed her teeth because well, you know how she is."

"Thanks, MJ." I smile.

She opens the door and I see Gracee laying on her bed. Her wet hair is fanned out on the pillow and she is wearing sweatpants and a crewneck. She is laying on her side, facing away from us. I walk around the bed to see her face and she looks up at me.

I lean down in from of her and move a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "Hey."

"Hey." She whispers.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I knew you would come back." She smiles. "I'm sorry so told you to go away, you were just trying to help me and-"

"Gracee, just stop. Remember? You don't have to pretend around me anymore."

"I know."

"You don't have to hide how you feel. You don't have to pretend to be okay when you're not. You can talk to me. I know what you're going through."

"I love you."

"I love you."

I kiss her lips and then the top of her head. Her hair smells like coconuts, like it always does. It's not surprising that she brought her own shampoo instead of using the hotels, because she is always prepared for everything. That's something I love about her.

She smiles and watches me as I stand up. Before I can walk away, she sits up on the bed and pulls me close to her. I hold her tight, not wanting to let go. I'm scared to sleep without her tonight. I'm going to miss hearing her heart beat when I lay my head on her chest. Sometimes when she gets really tired she talks in her sleep, and I'm gonna miss that too.

But it's just one night. I can do that. We can both do that. When she lets go I squeeze her upper arm reassuringly and walk towards MJ, who lets me out of the room.

"I'll see you in the morning." I smile to both of them, trying to hide how scared I am to have to sleep by myself.

"Okay." Gracee smiles.

I walk out of the room and then go back to my room. Ned is still passed out on the bed, so I decide not to wake him. I change into my suit and then slip out of the window, meeting Mr. Fury outside. I follow him onto a boat, watching as he starts the motor. I stay silent until it starts to get awkward, so I feel like I have to say something.

"So, uh... Why can't Gracee come?"

"She's been through a lot. I'm trying to protect her." He pauses. "And if you want her to be safe, you have to keep her out of this."

"That's all I want." I say. "For her to be safe."

There is another awkward pause before he pulls a case out of his coat pocket. "Stark left these for you."

I take the case from him and open it to see a pair of glasses. "Really?"

"Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Stark said you wouldn't get that because it's not a Star Wars reference."