eight

╮peewee champions╰

╮peewee champions╰

sloane entered hans' shop with her karate and hockey bag on one shoulder and a half-drunk water bottle in the other hand. she pushed her stray hairs away from her sweaty forehead as she stepped into the back room. she smiled at hans while letting both bags slide down her arm. she tucked her stray hairs behind her ears as she slipped through the french doors, drank the rest of her water, and begin sharpening skates.

"thought i gave you the day off," hans said, handing her a pair of dull skates.

"you did. didn't have anything to do between karate and our hockey game later so i figured i'd come work," she responded and licked her chapped lips as she took the skates. she sat the skates down, glanced at the clock, and returned to the backroom to retrieve her insulin shot. she quickly filled the syringe, took the shot, and capped the needle to throw it away before sticking the syringe back into her karate bag.

sloane put on her a clear pair of protective glasses after returning and began to sharpen the skates handed to her. she distractedly sat the freshly sharpened skates on the empty cart and approached the cash register when the bell hanging over the door rang. she pressed her stomach to the edge of the counter and smiled widely as charlie and adam approached her with a to-go box and bottle of water.

"you guys are awesome and i'll love you forever," sloane said, reaching over the counter to wrap her arms around their shoulders as they sat the bottle and styrofoam box down. "i don't even really care that it's a little weird that you know i'm here," she said before she took a long drink.

"you said yesterday that you were coming in after you got done with karate," adam said and pulled at his knuckles until they popped.

"oh, yeah! i did say that!" sloane said as her eyes widened in realization. "anyway, thank you, guys. i appreciate that you two exist. mwah," she said, pressing her hands to her mouth and extending them outward toward the boys.

"mwah!" they responded, returning the gesture dramatically as they left. sloane retreated to the back room, ate lunch, and returned to work. after working for a few hours, she looked at the hanging clock and sharply inhaled through her nose. she hurriedly finished running a skate blade through the sharpener and quickly ran to change her clothes.

"i'll see you tomorrow, hans!" she said and waved as she speedily left his shop.