fifteen

╮bouncing back╰

╮bouncing back╰

sloane stared into the crowd as she finished braiding the left side of her hair to the nape of her neck. she dropped her arms to let them rest as she meticulously scanned the crowd. she sighed and turned to her teammates as she pulled the two half braids together into a ponytail. she pulled short pieces from the front of her hair to frame her face as she tuned in to the chatter of her teammates. she carded her fingers through connie's ponytail as she turned to her and julie.

"are you guys free later this week?" she asked, lifting her left hand to rub her thumb against her bottom lip.

"we're busy, sorry," julie apologetically answered and smiled regretfully at her.

"that's fine," sloane said while dropping her hand to her side. "i'll find someone else to hang out with. or i may go to the gym to do some physical therapy work," she added as she turned back to scan the stands.

"got an la boyfriend in the stands or something?" connie joking asked and poked at sloane's sides.

"planning on replacing fulton with a beverly hills boy?" julie asked, laughing with connie. "heard they've got some pretty deep pockets."

"no, stop it," sloane said, smiling softly as she swatted connie's hands away and dropped her gaze toward her skates. "i was, uh, just promised that someone would show up and it's looking like they're not gonna be here," she explained and swallowed thickly as she stared disappointedly at her skates.

"sloane," adam said and waved her over when she looked up. she slipped through her teammates to stop between charlie and jesse and tucked her hands at the hem of her jersey.

"hmm?" she hummed and stared at him expectantly.

"are you okay to start?" charlie asked and tapped his pencil against the roster in his hands. "you're not hurting or anything are you?" he asked, pressing the back of his hand to her forehead before moving them to her cheeks.

"yeah, i'm fine," she replied, pulling away from charlie's hands and turning toward connie when she slid behind her to stand between guy and averman. "where do you need me to play?" she asked and quickly scanned the crowd once more.

"probably a winger. jess is gonna start center, guy's a winger, and me and fulton are defensemen," he explained and tapped his pen beside each name he said before pointing at the person. "unless you want to play somewhere else."