two

after that night, april was tasked with facing both her dad and her brother. she got back home around four in the morning, and there they were-- waiting for her. her dad flung around bluffs, and stated over and over: "you're grounded for the rest of your fucking life you little brat." and she said what she always said:

"ok."

both her father, brother, and april herself knew that she would repeat the routine this time next week, and the cycle would begin again. and that it did, friday night the following week, as april blotted her lips with a dark red lipstick. she once again slung her camera bag over her shoulder and slipped out of her bedroom window.

she didn't steal her father's car this time, as cherry was there at the very same time, a block away, waiting for her friend. she had gotten the night off to support the band, and so, she offered to give april a lift. making her way to the next block, where her friend was parked, april lit a cigarette. she was hoping in the back of her mind that she would see dave again.

despite the lack of time the two had spent together, each had peaked the others interest. her, with her red lipstick and confident exterior, and him, with his long hair and his sensitive eyes. she took a drag of her cigarette, and stomped it out on the concrete before entering cherry's car, even though she knew she didn't care about cigarette smoke. 

they pulled up a block away from the venue, opening their doors and walking over to the entrance. of course, jimmy was there, eyeing up every woman in line as usual. april felt her stomach churn as she neared him, though she kept her confident smirk on as she flashed him her id. the two girls walked in the direction of the bar immediately, ordering shots. they both knocked them back swiftly, vodka dribbling slightly out of the corner of cherry's mouth, which she hastily wiped away, smearing her lipstick in the process.

after one more shot each, the music started up and april turned her head to face the stage. the guitar and drums picked up and she felt her lips separating slightly. she stood from the bar stool to get a better view, and there he was. smashing the cymbals and madly hitting the kit in front of him. his long hair was flying around wildly, and his forehead shone with beads of sweat. it was hot as fuck.

she pulled cherry with her deep into the crowd where the two began to dance wildly. the glitter on april's eyes and cheekbones caught the light almost ethereally, and that's when dave first caught a glimpse of her in the crowd. her little black dress and boots were casual (albeit gorgeous) but it was her over-the-top makeup that elevated her whole look. she danced with cherry as if they and the music were the only ones filling the room. and she looked so free. but when given a closer look, you could see the emptiness behind april's eyes. and that scared him. but he was also intrigued-- almost magnetically.

the show ended and dave collapsed on the couch, a towel draped over his bare shoulders. he wiped sweat from his forehead and chest, and he almost jumped when he saw the flash and heard the camera shutter.

"shit, you scared me." he said, rubbing his eyes and leaning his head back against the wall, still catching his breath. april stood there with a smirk, and her film camera in her hands. "whats with the camera?" he asked, gesturing to what april held in her hands.

"i just like documenting moments that might be of some interest in the future; might make for a good story some day. you never know what the future relevance of an image might hold" she replied, staring down at her nails. "you didn't call me." she stated bluntly, raising an eyebrow. instead of waiting for a response, she plopped down next to dave, pulling her pack of cigarettes from her bag. "i was wrong. you are good." she spoke with the cigarette in between her lips. 

she took out her blue lighter and flicked at it a couple of times before taking a long drag and exhaling a cloud of smoke. he eyed the pack of cigarettes she held in her hand. marlboro reds. kurt smoked the same kind. she offered her cigarette to him, the filter stained with the deep red-brown of her lipstick shade. 

"you're a little young to be smoking, don't you think?" he asked, taking the cigarette in his fingers and inhaling the tobacco smoke. he handed the cigarette back to her and she took a drag before replying.

"am i?"

"yeah-- what are you, like fifteen?" he raised an eyebrow before reaching over to take a beer out of a cooler next to the couch. he cracked it open and took a swig.

"eighteen, actually."

"barely, rory." cherry broke into the conversation with a giggle, drunkenly plopping herself down beside april. 

"rory?" dave asked, referring to the odd choice of nickname for the girl named april.

"my middle name is aurora, my mom was a hippie." april began with a sigh, taking another drag. "cherry likes calling me rory to annoy me." she flipped her redheaded friend off with a grin.

"she turned eighteen yesterday." cherry slung an arm over april's shoulders. as much as she loved her, it was a cherry move to get drunk and cock block. once, at a party at her apartment, cherry drank one too many martinis and set off fireworks in the room a couple were hooking up in.

dave internally gulped. she clearly only had her eyes on getting an adrenaline rush or getting laid-- and it just so happened that her young, naive eyes landed on him first.

frankly, the girl sitting next to him scared him. so, as he made eye contact with a blonde from across the room, dave stood up and walked over to her. april followed him with her eyes, and averted them soon after as dave walked out with the girl.

she had probably made a fool of herself. i mean, he probably didn't perceive her as more than a messy little teenage girl, which wasn't too far off from the truth. she had fallen victim to becoming how she thought society wanted her-- pretty, dolled up, fresh shaven legs. a nymphette. she had grown up so fast she had barely even been a teenager.

"wanna drop some acid?" april spoke, turning toward cherry with a smirk, taking out a small ziplock baggie with two tabs in it.

"fuck yeah." cherry replied, sticking out her tongue for april to place the acid on it, and then, place a tab on her own.