four

april was wearing low waisted, boot cut jeans, and a pixies shirt that she had obviously cut herself when cherry opened the door to greet her. from where dave was sat, he didn't recognize her at first. the two times she had seen him she was in full party girl glamour-- short dresses and glitter adorning her features. the image of her in jeans, converse, and a t-shirt was a stark contrast in comparison to her attire the previous days. she had a wide, pearly smile plastered on her face, but as he scanned her features he noted that it didn't reach her eyes.

that was something that infuriated and would continue to infuriate her in the years to come; how easily dave could read her. with one glance of her body language, he knew exactly how she was feeling. and that scared her; the feeling of being completely helpless to the x-ray vision he held. how he could see right through the smiles and the glitter, to the root of the heart, and the vulnerability behind her eyes.

"rory!" cherry pulled april into a hug, kissing both of her cheeks. "come in, come in! i want you to meet max!" she pulled april by the hand into the living room. april nodded at dave and smiled at the long-haired brunette who sat across from him.

april walked over to her and stuck her hand out with a smile. "hey, i'm april." max took her hand, then pulled her into a hug.

"i've heard lot's about you. i'm max, it's great to finally meet you." she had the look on her face that she always did-- the smirking grin that was always associated with her. that smirk was max in a nutshell; a glint of lust and the promise of mischief.

max was a character-- that was for sure. everyone who met her was immediately drawn to her, almost enthralled. cherry was no exception. she had a kind of mystery that acted magnetically to those who witnessed it. cherry sat next to max, leaving april to hesitantly sit herself next to dave. 

"so," cherry began. "me and max are starting a band." she grinned with excitement. "and we want to start a zine-- you know the ones those punk feminists have been making?" cherry said, referring to the riot grrrl movement that had just begun to pick up. april nodded along to her friends words, soon becoming absorbed.

five minutes later, april stood there. dumbstruck.

"so what do you say?" cherry asked, twiddling her thumbs.

"wait... you want my pictures... in your zine?" april asked, almost shocked that the little photography work she had done was of some value to cherry. cherry nodded vigorously. 

"yup, and you can also write whatever like, opinions you have, or poems, or really whatever the fuck you feel like saying. that's the whole point of the zine." max said, looking to cherry who grinned at her.

"that's... fucking awesome, guys. i'm honored." april smiled.

"oh, rory, i'm so glad you're down! the zine can't be complete without rad photos!" cherry pumped her fist in the air and let out a hearty laugh. "lets jam, guys!" she hopped up and made her way over to her guitar stand and slinging the strap over her shoulder. "april, there's some mics over there!" she said, pointing to a box with two microphones.

"oh-- i don't-- i haven't---" april stuttered, beginning to grow red in the face. fuck. she thought. she never lost her composure.

"just shut up and take the mic, rory. let loose and have fun, you robot." cherry smirked, sending april supportive look. april opened her mouth to protest, but closed it as cherry raised an eyebrow. letting out an exasperated sigh, april made her way over to the box.

dave had his own guitar in a case by his feet, and he took it out, plugging it into an amp. april took a deep breath before hooking up the microphone, sneaking a glance at dave who met her eyes. she swiftly averted them. 

she wasn't sure exactly why she had been avoiding his eye contact, or conversation, but she was. maybe it was because of embarrassment. maybe that same insecurity she had known throughout highschool was making a comeback. maybe it was the fear in knowing he could see right through her facade.

"let's play that x song you love, rory-- what's it called?" cherry smiled, her eyes flicking over to dave with a glint of mischief.

"x?" dave asked with a grin. "i fuckin' love x. which song?"

"um, the once over twice." april replied with a smile, locking eyes with dave and holding the contact for the first time that day.

"shit, i know that one, it's great." dave replied, turning toward cherry and max. "you guys know it?" max shook her head, and dave explained the drumming pattern.

cherry knew the song by heart from when april would always make her play it on her guitar. she would always agree, on the condition that april would sing. 

"alright, i think we're all good." max spoke as dave finished explaining the drumming pattern. "you ready, guys?" they all nodded.

the guitar began, and the drums followed, then soon after, april began to sing. 

"i just heard the sad song by another band, sung by another man, he gave me the once over twice. i said "when," he said "okay, so long" he hung me with the endless rope..."

her vocals were haunting and bold, and the way she lost herself in the fast paced punk song was almost magical. dave could feel his heart clench as he gazed at her, shutting eyes and crying out the lyrics. and when she opened them, they met with his. 

and they stayed that way comfortably, both of them coming to a silently mutual agreement through eye contact. and april smiled. cherry noticed; and when she did, she smiled as well, because it was the first fully sincere smile she had seen from her friend in years. it was the first time she didn't have sadness behind her eyes, just pure, unwavering bliss.

cherry knew before april did that april was going to fall in love with dave. but as she saw them staring at one another, she didn't even think of saying a word. she just smiled.