five

it was friday. april had finished working her shift at a coffee shop downtown and flopped down on her red bedsheets. it was surprising that her dad hadn't kicked her out since she'd finished highschool, but she wasn't complaining. she knew, however, that as soon as she had saved enough money she would move into her own apartment. 

after their jam session, a multitude of thoughts had been swimming through aprils mind-- her youth, cherry, dave, her dad. april knew (although she wouldn't dare say it to anyone) that she was a very lost person. few people caught on to that considering the version of herself she presented to the world, but it was true. she was also deeply insecure, and that was one thing that dave had begun to recognize in her eyes.

she would get this hazy, almost stoned look in them when she would fake a smile. the few times she would crack a genuine smile, or let a real laugh escape her lips, it was almost like heaven. in the week that had past since they had gathered together in cherry's apartment to play together, dave and april had begun to call one another.

the first time he dialed the number on the crumpled piece of paper, he hung up as soon as her voice echoed through the receiver. 

"hello?"

taking a breath and leaning against the wall, he dialed it again.

"yes?"

"it's dave."

"oh, hey dave." she replied, twirling a piece of hair in her finger as she held the phone up to her ear. "what's up?"

"oh, well... it was just cool playing with you the other day and i, um, well i remembered i had your number so i wanted to give you a call."

"cute." she spoke into the phone, biting her lip and resisting the urge to giggle. she loved flirting for the fun of it. she knew what she was doing.

they had continued calling the past couple of days; april always unapologetically flirtatious, and dave always bit his lip at her bluntness. days after they had begun to talk over the phone, april called him around midnight.

"so, are you going to the show friday?" she asked, walking over the her vanity with the phone still pressed against her cheek. 

she applied a layer of dark red lipgloss to her lips and observed her face in the mirror. and observed, meaning, picking apart every flaw, misplaced hair, odd freckle and textured area of her skin. she was on her way to pick up from her dealer at the park, and she could often get a discount if she came dolled up, so that's what she did.

"it's midnight, april." his voice was deep, sounding as if she had just woken him up, and she smirked.

"you didn't answer my question, grohl."

"yeah, i am-- you gonna be singing?" he asked, recalling the intoxicating sound of her voice as she sang. he heard april let out a "ha" on the other end of the line, then the flicking of a lighter. 

"fat chance. that was a one time thing, grohl, i won't be getting the old vocal chords out again any time soon."

his heart sank.

"well, i think that's bullshit." he challenged. she raised an eyebrow, scoffing before taking a drag of her cigarette.

"oh really; why?" she questioned, eager to hear what he had to say.