A New Beginning

It was around the middle of September, and you were just starting your college scholarship. It was always your dream to attend a college in England. You had just moved from the U.S. to a small apartment complex just a few minutes off of the college campus. You thought all was normal until you find yourself falling for your physics professor.

It wasn't too much of a long trip to England, but what sucked the most was unpacking. It was late at night. I parked my car in the parking garage and carried a few boxes containing toiletries and clothes. I would have to make do with these items for the night just until I am able to unpack completely. The drive up here was peaceful and calming as the rain poured outside, slightly fogging the windows of my car. I was hoping this move was going to give me a chance to obtain a fresh start. I had an image engraved in my mind about how my apartment was going to look. A few bookshelves were definitely necessary, a lot of plants in the living room and entry, dark brown wooden floors would give the room life, creme colored walls that looked beige in the sun. Just the thought of my dream house being put together gave me a sort of motivation.

The parking garage was not too far from my building, I actually enjoyed the walk. I gathered my items and stepped out of the echoey lot. When I passed the concrete walls that held the structure, I was hit with a breeze causing chills to run along my back. It was indeed a chilly night; I could see the reflections of well-light buildings in the streets due to the rain that consumed them. Dampness and moisture filled the air. I stopped walking to hear the faint sound of laughter and conversation coming from far in the distance. I was deep in this feeling; It felt as though time didn't exist. After standing for a few moments admiring the contentment of these people and the lights of the buildings, I continued my walk at a decent pace to my accommodation, because it was cold, but mostly because these boxes were incredibly heavy, and I could feel one slipping. I walked up the few stairs that led to the building but by the looks of it, the building wasn't in the best condition. The stairs were cracked and not level, I soon came to find out. The boxes were well blocking my vision on my right side, I went to step on the last stair but ended up mis stepping and losing grip of my box, I shut my eyes tightly waiting for the sound of the box to hit the ground, but it was silent. I open my eyes to see a man standing in front of me holding my box. I was stunned, for sure he had not been there before.

"Are you alright, dear?" the man spoke in a concerned tone.

He was tall, above average height most likely. He was dressed in maroon turtleneck and grey sweatpants, and his hair was a chestnut brown color and perfectly parted down the middle with the occasion of a few lose strands in his face.

"Yes, yes I am alright, thank you," I was very confused on how I didn't notice him before.

"Let me give you a hand," he reached out and motioned for me to hand him another box

"No, no really it's alright I was just-" I really didn't want to trouble this man, but he cut me off.

"I insist, it would be very ungentlemanly of me to let you proceed on your own." He spoke, his words were carefully selected, and he spoke very properly. The more he spoke I was able to recognize the deep and gruffness of his voice, making me almost double take.

I gave a small sigh in defeat and handed him another box from my arms. "How did I not see you there before, I could have sworn I was alone?" I asked turning to him having to look up to meet his eyes.

He turned to me and only chuckled slightly that was followed by a small smile.

"I live on the third floor." I said trying to start a conversation with this man, so it wasn't so awkward.

"Well then, to the third floor we go" he said.

He walked up and pressed the button to the elevator, and we just stood there for a few moments awaiting its' arrival. Though it never came. He leaned over and pressed the button again, this time furrowing his eyebrows at the delay of the lift. We stood only a few moments more before he spoke.

"Well, I guess no elevator, we'll have to take the stairs" he said leaving my side and began towards the steps.

I said nothing and followed after him. He walked in a way like her knew where he was going, like he's been here a million times before, it was quite intriguing.

We started up the stairs, his pace was much quicker than mine leaving me a few steps short of his side.

"You're not from around here, are you?" he questioned.

"No, I'm not, I'm from America," I almost felt embarrassed.

"I could tell because of your accent." he spoke in a calm tone.

We made it to the third floor and the second room on the right was mine. The man stopped as I stopped. I made a 'seriously' face when I looked at the door. It was the wrong color; it had an almost olive-green tint to it and the paint was chipping and cracking. I turned to the man and spoke.

"Well, this is embarrassing, definitely not what I had in mind." I looked up at him clenching my jaw.

He stayed starring at the door for a few moments more before turning to me, "Yeah, a little TLC wouldn't hurt." He said meeting my eyes and then glancing back at the door.

"Well, I appreciated your help, thank you" I nodded to him, as he set my boxes down, he walked up to me.

"You're very welcome, dear" he said giving me a small pat on the shoulder and walking away "Good night" he spoke once more.

"Good night" I said to him.

I reached for my key in my back pocket and unlocked the door hoping that the inside was better than the outside. It was pitch black inside. I squinted trying to adjust my eyes. Taking a step in, I reached out along the walls for a light switch of some sort. I found it, flicking it on, I watched as light casted away the darkness and shadows that were there once before. The room smelled damp and of dust.

There wasn't much, it was a decent sized home. A perfect size for one. I sighed knowing that until tomorrow, there was very little. I walked in with two crates in hand and the other two sitting outside where the kind man had left them. I set the two down on the countertop and went to retrieve the others. I held my wrist up and shook it slightly to adjust my watch. The time read 9:57, I sighed once more and grabbed a few items out of the brown, cardboard boxes and went to find the bathroom. It was connected to the master bedroom, I turned on the light and noticed a large shower and bath. I smiled knowing I'd be spending a lot of time here. I glared into the mirror for a few moments before grabbing my toothbrush and brushing my teeth. After I had finished getting ready for bed I went to the bedroom and just stared at the empty space where a bed should lie.

I had no other choice but to set up a few blankets on the floor and sleep here until I get my furniture ordered. I got into my makeshift bed and just looked up at the celling for a few moments. I've hit rock bottom.