The Elevator

Once we began heading back from the walk, Otto walked me back to my apartment building. "Would you like to come inside for a drink?" I offered him.

"Sure, why not." Otto smiled and grabbed the door for me as we entered the lobby to my building. I leaned over and pressed the button to the elevator. It took a minute as always, given that this building is so old and rundown. Once we entered the elevator, one of the lights flickered above us. Otto and I both exchanged wide-eyed glances with each other, fearing the worst.

The elevator slowly began to move up until it completely stopped. I looked at Otto with a raised eyebrow. "Is it just me or did this elevator ride seem awfully fast?"

Otto shrugged, right when he was about to say something the elevator shifted, falling down slightly. "SHIT!" I yelled as I lost balance, grabbing on to Otto to stabilize myself. Otto grabbed my arm as he too struggled to maintain balance. I found myself firmly pressed up against him. I gripped onto him tighter as I felt the elevator rock, and creak slightly. I looked up at him, he was already looking down at me. Our faces only inches apart. My face went beat red and I think he noticed.

Otto's hands were placed tightly on my hips as his back was pressed up against the elevator wall. My arm was wrapped tightly on his upper back, while my other hand was placed on his chest. My legs slightly bent causing our hips to be firmly slotted against each another.

I took in a sharp breath but for some reason I wasn't able to tear myself away from him as I usually would have. Something about this moment seemed different, Otto's demeanor seemed off, maybe it was the adrenaline, maybe it was because we were so close to one another. But I know damn well what it was for me. Otto's body was incredibly warm, feeling the rise and fall of his chest against mine, or his heart beat against the palm of my hand.

Otto bent down and directed his voice towards my ear, "Y/n?"

I couldn't say anything. The feeling of his warm breath against my ear and neck drove me wild. I only hummed in response.

"You're stepping on my foot dear." He whispered again.

Otto pulled his head away from my ear, his eyes immediately finding mine. I was lost in his beautiful, chocolate brown eyes. It took me a second to process what he said to me. "Wha-, OH SORRY!!" I moved back, immediately peeling myself away from him in shame. SHIT SHIT SHIT WHAT WAS I THINKING, GOING UP AND JUST GRABBING MY PROFESSOR. UGHH WHY AM I LIKE THIS. I looked down at the floor and I hid my very much embarrassed face.

Otto chuckled "Y/n it's okay, I'm fine, but this elevator definitely is not." He spoke as he glanced around the room.

"Mmhm." I said with my head still down, not even wanting to look at him.

Otto walked over and grabbed my chin, tilting it up to force me to look at him. "Hey, what's wrong?" He spoke in a soft, calm tone.

"Are you kidding me, I was just practically on top of you." I screwed my eyes shut, not wanting to look at him any longer.

Otto laughed, "Y/n look at me,"

I shook my head.

"Y/n, look at me." He said sternly.

I opened my eyes to find his.

"It's okay, why are you making such a big deal about it?"

"Ughh." I groaned "Can we just get off the topic and maybe find a way we are going to get out of here."

"I suppose we could do that, or you could tell me what's going on, you're acting weird, usually something like this wouldn't bother you."

"I don't know, okay? I guess it just caught me off guard." I looked away.

"Okay okay, that's all I wanted." He put his hands up in defense.

"Yeah, well that's not all that I wanted." I mumbled under my breath as I rolled my eyes.

"What was that?" His eyes shot over to me, his brows furrowed as he took a step towards me. Right when he was about to open his mouth again, the elevator began to move, this time it began moving up and continuing on its track.

"Ahh would you look at that." I motioned towards the doors as they opened.

Otto only glared at me, his eyes like knives piercing me and every lie I was planning on telling him. He knew me all too well.

We stepped out and walked down the hall until we reached my room. "You still wanna come in for a drink?" I asked as I opened the door and motioned for him to enter.

"Mmm." He walked in.

"Look Otto I'm sorry, I was just embarrassed. I mean come on; it was a cliché situation." I grabbed two glasses and a bottle of whiskey out of the cupboard.

Filling the glasses about halfway Otto finally spoke. Giving a heavy sigh as he spoke. "Yeah, I guess you're right." He finally gave up, grabbing the glass from my extended arm.

"Now come on, lets drink, to New York, to science, and to one hell of an amazing professor, mentor, and friend." I held my glass up in the air and waited for him.

"I'll drink to that." He smiled and collided his glass with mine.

The rest of that evening was spent discussing the details of the trip. We are leaving Tuesday morning, our flight is 1:30 am. I have to pack for a month. Harry Osborn was able to find us a decent place to work, it has all of the equipment we need. We will perform our presentation to the people a week before we leave. After that we can spend a week relaxing in New York until we have to fly home if all goes according to plan.