Chapter 3.

"Arabella." I sit up, placing my bowl on the table. "Please, don't say that. Going out into the world and trying to find who you are means you're good enough for anything. And I know you're brave and strong, nothing as simple as being unsure can stand in your way." She stares at me with sad eyes for a long moment then her bottom lip starts to tremble. "Kid, I'm sorry if-"

She throws herself at me, wrapping her arms around my neck and hugging me. "No one's ever called me brave," she whispers then pulls away as fast as she came in. "I'm sorry."

In complete shock, I have no idea what to say to her.

"My dad said I was only good enough for a shitty paycheck," she whispers. "Then he went to prison and that was the last thing he said it me. I was just a kid then, it's been years...I don't remember much about him, the only thing that comes to mind now is being scared-constantly being scared. When my momma started hitting me, I cried, and I thought I was weak. But with my dad put away, I told myself it was only my momma who saw me weak. So I made a promise to myself that everyone else will know me as brave, the complete opposite of weak. Then you showed up and you've only seen me hurt, you've seen me weak and at my lowest, but you still think I'm brave so...thank you. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rambling." She sits back, pressing her back to the couch, and brings her legs up. She tucks her shoulder-length, light brown behind her ears then hugs her knees.

"You know I mean it, right? I'm not just-"

She nods. "I don't think you can lie."

"I try not to."

She tightens her hold on herself. "Can I stay here a little longer? Now that my mother knows I'm the reason you stopped seeing her, she won't let this go. She'll-"

"It's fine," I assure her.

"Thank you."

After half an hour of just sitting there and "watching" the movie, I get up, grabbing the bowls of soggy cereal, and walk to the kitchen. I empty the bowls then wash the dishes. When I'm done, I check my phone. Three text messages from Chris. She calls me a piece of shit, nothing new, but doesn't mention Arabella. It's sort of a relief but it's always a painful reminder that I'm letting a fifteen-year-old girl stay at my place when her mother doesn't know about it.

What the fuck have I gotten myself into?

"Hey, Arabella?" I enter the living room and find her sleeping on the couch. I was gone for ten minutes but apparently, that was enough for her to fall asleep. I grab a blanket from the hallway closet and cover her with it. Then I grab my things and leave my apartment.

Arabella

My usual hour nap after school went well over an hour today. I checked the time and saw it has been nearly three hours.

"Tobias?!" I call.

Just then, the front door opens but it's not Tobias entering. A boy who's probably a few years older than me, steps inside, spots me, and stops in the doorway. He's insanely handsome, it makes me speechless. He arches a brow at me. "Who are you? Where's Tobias?"

I shrug. "I woke up and he was gone."

"Okay." He steps inside and closes the door behind him. "I'll wait in the kitchen." He removes his coat and leaves it on one of the three hooks on the door.

"Um, who are you?"

"Manuel. I'm chef Tobias' helper in the kitchen. There's an order coming in today and we're supposed to..." he tightens his eyes on me. "Who are you? Tobias doesn't have any family, especially someone so young."