Chapter 7.

Arabella

"Tobias!" I call as I leave the bathroom. "Can I get my homework now?!" I find the living room empty and move on towards the kitchen. "I still need you to-oh, hi, Rosalee."

She smiles. "Hi, sweetie. How are you feeling?"

"Slight pain is expected."

"I'm going to get her homework," says Tobias. "You covered your stitches, right?"

I nod. "I didn't wash my face too to be extra safe. Do you know how long my stitches are going to take to heal?!" I exclaim dramatically. "I am going to break out."

He chuckles. "You can wash your face in the sink. I'll be back."

The moment Tobias leaves the apartment, shutting the door behind him, Rosalee speaks. "Do you feel uncomfortable around my brother?"

"I, um, no. He's the only person I feel comfortable with." I take a few steps forward and lean on the opposite end of the island. "Why?"

"Because my brother had a rough twenty-four hours and wanted a drink but was worried you might find out about it."

"He said that?" I ask, and she nods. "I don't mind if he drinks."

"Can you tell him that? And you know what?" She strolls over to me and tucks my loose hair behind my ear. "Imma go. I only came back to tell you that there's a wedding in the family and you and Tobias are invited, expected to come even. I told you specifically because I'm hoping you can convince Tobias to go. He's been saying no for months."

"Is your family big?" I ask, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"No...it's our brother getting married and, counting his dad and me, there's only three of us going-or hopefully three. I hope Tobias goes. And you of course! Then that makes it four I guess."

Our brother? Tobias has a brother? It painfully dawns on me that I know nothing about Tobias' family. I didn't even know about his sister and she apparently lives close enough to visit twice a day. I don't like not knowing anything about Tobias. "I'll-I'll-I'll talk to him but I can't promise anything."

She smiles, crunching her thin nose. She quickly caresses my chin. "You are very special, Arabella."

Rosalee left the moment Tobias returned with my things. He washed up a little bit while I lied out my books on the coffee table. My homework didn't take as long as I thought. We were done with all the subjects and questions in under two hours. It was such a relief. Afterward, I put away my things and Tobias asked me about dinner. We quickly settled on homemade pizza.

"I have a catering job tomorrow," he tells me as he takes out the ingredients he needs. "Do you want to come or stay here?"

I jump onto the counter. "What time?"

"The party starts at six but I like to be there two or three hours beforehand. Manuel will be there helping me of course but you'll have someone to talk to every now and then."

I nod. "Okay, I'll go."

"Okay."

I decide there's no better time than now to mention the wedding. "Rosalee and I talked and she really wants you to go to your brother's wedding."

Tobias momentarily freezes, then continues flattening the dough on a pan. "Step-brother," he says in a hard tone. "And save your breath, kid, I'm not going."

"Why not? Rosalee said there's only three of you going that's on his side."

"Family wise, yes, but Patrick's a very friendly guy. I'm sure he has at least three dozen friends going to his wedding."