Chapter 31.

Tobias

Things took a very sudden turn with Brenda. We were sitting at the kitchen island, our plates were empty and had been for a while because we were just sharing stories and learning things about each other and laughing with each other. She confessed that she hadn't dated in a long time. Her focus on sports and coaching teams made her time slip away-not in a bad way, of course. I confessed that I hadn't had a real relationship. Then, out of fear of what she might say, I grabbed our plates, got up, and put them in the sink. She got up too. Then she kissed me. And one thing led to another...

"Does Arabella have her own room?" Brenda asks, looking around my room.

"No. I'm looking for a new place, though." Now I'll have to wash the sheets six or eight or ten times...nope, I'm better off getting new ones. I really need my own room.

"Sharing a room with a sixteen-year-old must be hard," she smiles.

"I love her, but can we not talk about my daughter right now?"

"We're good, right? It was sudden and I know I kissed you but just because we had sex doesn't mean we won't-"

"I like you," I confess. "And if you're serious about Arabella, then I don't see why this can't escalate."

She smiles. "I'm serious, Tobias."

I sit up and kiss her jaw.

"Wait," she laughs, gently shoving me away. "I'll be right back." She gets out of bed, grabs my shirt off the floor, and puts it on as she leaves the room.

I sigh, flattening myself against the mattress.

"Um, Tobias?!" Brenda calls from the hall.

"Yeah?!"

"Tobias!" She says with more urgency.

"Okay, I'm coming!" I sit up.

"Get dressed!"

Get dressed? I quickly put on my pants from before and a tank top I grabbed from the dresser. I hurry out of my room, down the hall next to Brenda, and see Arabella standing near the open front door.

And she looks pissed.

"Arabella-" she runs out before I can finish. "Arabella!" I run after her. She hurries down to the next floor and I quickly catch up. "Kid, wait!" I snap, raising my voice to a volume I hate using with her.

But it works. She skids to a halt, then spins around and slams her hands against my chest. "You're an asshole!" She yells.

"Watch it-"

"Why should I?" She folds her arms over her chest with more attitude than I thought was possible.

"Because I'm still your dad. Now, talk to me. Tell me what's wrong."

"When I suggested you make Coach dinner, I didn't mean for you to fuck her! She's my coach, d-" she winces and starts crying. She's trembling while tears pull out of her red eyes.

"Arabella, it wasn't..." I hate seeing her like this, I can't fucking think straight. "I-I-I don't understand."

"Forget it!" She shouts, then suddenly turns and runs down another flight of stairs.

I follow. "Arabella, where are you going?"

"I just need some fresh air! Alone!"

I swiftly step around her, stopping her, and she glares up at me. But I know better. I can see the hurt and pain burning behind her anger. Seeing her like this...it's like someone lit a fire in the middle of my chest. "Since when did we do things alone? I understand if you need a minute but don't push me away. Hit me all you want, yell at me as loud as I know you can get but stay with me. Don't...don't leave...me, okay?"