Chapter 8.

Arabella

At exactly three-thirty, Tobias woke me up, giving me thirty whole minutes to get ready. But I really needed five. I brushed out my hair, tied it back in a low bun, and changed into a pair of jeans and a black thermal shirt. I didn't take a shower because I prefer to take one at the end of the day. The rest of the time that was meant for me to get ready, I spent sleeping. At exactly four o'clock, Tobias woke me up again.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Tobias asks as we leave his apartment. He shaved while I was sleeping and now he looks kinda strange. Not in a bad way, he actually looks younger, I'm just used to the beard. "It's about an hour-long drive, you can sleep in the car."

"You didn't give me a chance to answer, Tobias. I'm fine though. I'm not sure what happened last night but I got plenty of sleep."

He makes a face. "Did you feel uncomfortable last night?"

We step onto the elevator. "I thought we were passed this."

"That doesn't answer my question, Arabella."

"No, I didn't feel uncomfortable. I'm just not used to sleeping in new places. And all the other times I slept here-"

"You basically passed out," he whispers then nods sadly. His grim expression makes me feel sick. I step closer and hug him. He hesitates and we go past three floors before he hugs me back. "I'm sorry. I'm just-" the elevator stops, we've reached the ground floor and the doors are opening and Tobias is shutting up. I pull away from him.

We leave the apartment building and bank right, heading towards the building's parking lot. I stop when I notice a woman sitting on the floor and leaning against the wall with a sign stating she's homeless next to her. Tobias quickly notices my abrupt halt and does the same. I hold out my hand, palm up. "Can I have five dollars? I'll pay you back."

"Oh, yeah?" He chuckles, pulling out his wallet. "With what jobs?"

"I'll help around the house."

He chuckles again and hands me a five-dollar bill. I thank him then move towards the woman. I approach her, crouch down, and hold out the bill. She's an older woman with an ocean of gray for her long, wavy hair. We lock eyes and it's like I'm staring at the brightest shade of brown.

She smiles. "Thank you, honey. God bless you."

I shake my head. I wish it was more. "Take care."

She searches my face then hers drops. "What happened to your eye?"

"Oh, my mom threw a bottle at me."

She frowns. "I'm sorry, hun. My kids don't know I'm here. But I guess it's alright, they're busy with my grandbabies."

"I don't think it's alright." I sit next to her, my back against the wall, and my legs sprawl out in front of me. "Do you not...have anyone...I mean at all?"

She sighs heavily through her mouth. "No."

"Tobias?" I look up at him only to see he's now standing only a foot away from my feet. "Do you happen to have a pen?"

"I think in my car." He disappears around the building only to come back less than a minute later. He hands me a pen.

"Can I?" I ask the woman, reaching for her arm. She nods and rests her forearm in my hand. "My name's Arabella Diaz and I know someone that owns a gym not far from here. Tell him you know me, he can offer you a job and a place to stay." I write down my name and the address to the gym on her inner forearm. "What's your name?" I lift my gaze, looking at her again, but she's crying now, her bright eyes shining brighter than before.